Why is my Compaq laptop shutting down soon after being switched on?

Andrew Solanke October 17, 2014

Hello, I have a Compaq Presario CQ61 and it turns off 2-3 seconds after I turn it on. So, I opened the RAM cover and removed the two modules labelled 1GB  and 2GB, then tried turn the PC on without the RAM modules. The PC  worked with a blank screen and CAPS LOCK blinking. I then also tried to put the memory moidules back and it on but again it turns off every 2-3 secs.

Hello, most times that has to do with temperature. Did you try reinstalling RAM one by one? if it work with one slot but not with the other, then that could be the cause. Also, when you turn it on, does it get to login screen? Is is possible to get to safe mode? Try starting it and hit the f8 key to check. If you can get to windows with safe mode, it could also be caused by software. While in safe mode you could check your harddrive too. Also, can you get to BIOS? if there is something wrong with you harddrive, it would not show in your BIOS.

you can try to reset cmos battery or to replace
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_s8tdcjp70

can you boot on linux live cd or hirens boot cd.

3. p johnston

Or battery/power supply. Does this symptom also occur with external AC power adapter connected?

Most of the time, a computer shutting down within seconds of being switched on indicates that the processor is overheating. This usually happens when the heat sync the (the block of metal on the processor) is not attached well enough to the processor and/or the thermal paste has dried out.

If you have no idea what that means, you'll need to take it to a professional to get it repaired. If you have removed and reattached heatsinks before then you'll need to open your laptop and do it again.