How can I compare two (email) lists without viewing the content

Andy July 3, 2011

I need to compare an email list with a list curated by someone else and see the % of overlap.

The first thought is to make hashes out of each email. However this only works until a match is found. Once we have overlap we will both know who is a double-subscriber, and this is arguably confidential info.

Any idea how to do this.

Is there any service that would allow us to compare? I am thinking that the matches would be meaningless for that 3rd party.

Andy,

did Joseph's solution work for you? Please let us know!

2. Joseph Gorman

If the lists are in excel format (or can be opened in excel), here's a quick way (2007+). First, select both lists. Second, go to Conditional Formatting -> Highlight Cells Rules -> Duplicate Values. You can select the cells based on their formatting in the full find/replace dialog if you want to or just look at the cells.

Source: http://chandoo.org/wp/2010/07/01/compare-lists-excel-tip/ (also contains a method to do this in excel 03).