Why do my comments on Facebook pages appear as anonymous?

2a9f334626799e11b7d6747862b46e82 October 7, 2012

Problem: I have a Facebook business page, but when I comment or like on other business pages, it is anonymous.

I read a solution that said. “Go to your page and click “Edit Page“, then click on “Your Settings“. You’ll find that there’s a checkbox there which ensures that you will always post as your page whenever you’re posting on your page. Uncheck that, save the changes and you will be able to choose for yourself.”

But when I uncheck that button and save, the checkmark comes back. I think it is because I don’t have a personal account. What is the solution?

1. Eserpess Eserpess

You probably have your account settings set to private, if you want to change that you can play with your account settings and switch to public, ultra private friends only and so on. It depends on how much you want to share.

2. onewhirleddesign

Hi, and thanks everybody for your suggestions (this is from the original poster).
    I started a Facebook "page" for my art business and did not have a personal account. Facebook allowed me do this.
    However, it seems that the business page will not operate properly in several respects if there is no personal account. I have confirmed this by opening a personal account (which I am planning not to use - I didn't want one!), and the problems that I had have been solved. Personally I think this is a big bug in Facebook and I think they should fix it. If they have their reasons for needing you to have an individual account, they should make it so that you cannot do otherwise.
    For your info, I would note that in the menu item: Edit Page --> Manage Notifications (gives Your Settings, haha) --> Posting Preferences, it gives you a check box (as referred to in my original question). Mine said: "Always comment and post on your pages as PageName, even when using Facebook as." See, it should say "...using Facebook as IndividualAccountName." but the sentence literally left off with the word "as". This made me think that Facebook needed an individual account to put in that field.
    So, I did open an individual account. The things that didn't work before, but that do now, are:
    1) am able to see the "like" button on other "pages" (previously, I had an "add to favorites" button from a pulldown menu, and that is now gone; also I presume that those early "likes" that I left were unidentified to the recipients, unfortunately.);
    2) am able to select "Use facebook as PageName" from the Edit Page menu, but only if I sign into my individual account first, and then go to the business page;
    3) I am able to comment on other Pages and my identity will show as either PageName or IndividualAccountName as desired (see item 2 - must sign into personal account);
    4) I presume I am no longer blocked from adding content on the Facebook community - I haven't tried it again, but when I was trying to solve this problem I was completely prevented from posting the problem there. This is too bad for Facebook, because anybody having this problem is prevented from giving their feedback!
    Anyway, there you go - some field experience for the hive mind!
    I didn't look further into the possibility of phishing pages, since opening the personal account seemed to solve the problem. However, that is a good tip to make sure you are on an authentic page.

• Jack Cola

Creating a personal account is pretty easy. Just because you have to create one, doesn't mean you have to use it.

i think just create a personal Facebook account and make it an admin of your business page.

Just make sure you are always "logged in as the page" rather then your personal account when making posts.

I know this isn't the point you where making, but it's a workable solution.

• onewhirleddesign

Hi Jack,
        Right, I agree - I did open a personal account, just so I could make the business page work, but I am not planning to use the personal page as such.

• Ugh

The people commenting on here are obviously clueless. I myself created a page and not a profile. I do not want a profile. After a while I noticed that I was unable to interact outside my page. I was blank. I tried for months to figure it out and there were no answers. Then today while staring at my admin panel, I noticed that the image next to my email was blank and figured that's the image showing on my post on other pages.. then came the realization that the solution was creating a profile. I then stumbled across this post and you have totally confirmed what I was hoping was wrong LOL. ugh... so it seems the only way to post to forums or pages is to have an actual profile? That is ridiculous. and your right, if you have to have a profile in order to communicate outside your page then they shouldn't let us create a page without a profile. I hope this gets resolved because I refuse to have a facebook profile.

• onewhirleddesign

Right, well I just wonder how many people have a "page" but no personal account, and they may not even realize that their page isn't working. It's a pretty big fail IMO - and kind of shows the hubris of Facebook, since their programming *assumes* that everyone has a personal account.

• Kartoffel

Maybe I am a little dense, but I still cannot figure out how to link my personal account to my fan page. I have a personal account, it is listed as 'manager', I still cannot post as my business, even though I do get the option when I log in as my personal account.

Can someone give me a good step-by-step? Thanks much!

Kartoffel,

Are you still looking for an explanation? If you do, I recommend to post a new question. Good luck!

• Shannon

Question: I created our company business page which I was allowed to do because I have a personal profile. Logged in from my business page, should I choose to comment on a post made by another business page I have Favorited, my comment shows up from Anonymous. There is no option at the top for Account or to Use Facebook As.

Is there any way to comment as my company identity when viewing another business page's post? Thanks!

• onewhirleddesign

I find that I have to sign in to my personal profile first. Then I can go to my business page and choose "use facebook as [business page]". If I sign into my business page directly, there is no "use facebook as" option.

• Guderian

Hi,
      I found your experience very interesting as I have exactly the same problem.
      I have a business page and can only comment etc...as anon so after reading your post I tried to set up a personal profile. However, I don't seem able to do this. Facebook wants me to sign up with my personal details but I believe this will mean I will have two accounts (personal and my business page) and Facebook does not allow this!
      How did you go about setting up a personal profile AFTER a business account? Any help greatly appreciated as I am spending hours trying to sort this out and am going around in circles. Thank you!

• 1whirleddesign

Hi Guderian,
      Well, it was a while back that I set up the profile AFTER the page, so I'm not certain that Facebook hasn't tinkered with things in the meantime. But surely you CAN set up two accounts - you just have to use a different email address for each. So try to set up your personal profile with a different email address and write back to report how it went.

3. Elrick Browne

Maybe a hacked page and not the real facebook check the address bar for https://

• Deekshith Allamaneni

Yes, this might be any pishing site. Please check it from another computer.

4. Karin Holmqvist

I think you need to get a personal account to show up as "something" on other pages - you can only post as a "page" on your own page

• Ahmed Khalil

i donot think so, if he has bisuness acount this mean he already has personal one

• Macwitty

But this person wrote "I think it is because I don’t have a personal account."

• ahmed Fouad khalil

Yes you right, but this is not correct as Facebook will not allow this

• Mac Witty

Well, if you create a facebook account and then change it into a page then you'll have a page without any account

This happens to companies/organisations who by mistake made a personal account instead of a page.