How is it possible to comment on MakeUseOf?

P Riehl July 25, 2010

Though articles solicit comments, the site apparently offers no way to do so. Is there a trick, an incantation, a secret handshake?

1. oldntryn

Well i guess i added a comment, but still can't see how to login and post a question

oldntryn

What happens when you click the Ask Question button? It should ask you to log in and provide you with options to log in.  You can log in using social networking accounts, including Twitter, Yahoo, Google, and Facebook. There also should be a login option in the top right (sidebar).

2. Websofy

i also needed help on the same topic. Thanks for your help.

Congratulations! You just managed to post a comment, meaning your problem is solved. :)

3. under counter freezer

So, at the risk of being repetitive: HOW is it possible to comment on MakeUseOf? Oron Joffe. To put it more simply, you need to type the ...

• Oron Joffe

Oh, I see, you want to make general comments *about* the site, rather than comments about an article on the site! I don't know if there's a facility to do this, but MUO staff seem to read comments on all articles, so just post your comment and it will be read.

Wow, are we really reviving a question that old? Ok. If you have any general comments regarding MakeUseOf, you can submit a question and send us your comments that way. It won't be published as a question, but the comment will be forwarded to whoever is responsible. You can also email me: tina at makeuseof dot com

4. Short Break Portugal

I am going to switch to Disqus because when posting comments on blogs, quite often the standard comment system on WordPress leads to a blank page after hitting the submit button. It never happens with Disqus.

5. P Riehl

You'll note that I tried with four different browsers, yes? I have no extras on any but Firefox.

I suspect you're right about the ISP, since I was able to load disqus.com through HideMyAss proxy.

And what do I find? A chance to sign up to have disqus manage the comments on MY SITE!

So I'm back to the original question - if I want to comment on one of the articles that has no comment entry block, what do you want me to do - have disqus manage the comments on MY SITE, and then what?

• Oron

P, you *have* been commenting on this site.

If an article has no comment block then you can't comment on it. So far, I have not come across such articles in MakeUsOf, so I suspect that the problem lies with your ISP, computer or browser. I'm afraid I can offer no further advice on this.

• Jack Cola

If you can't access Disqus.com, then it's not a problem on our side, it is on yourside.

Also, MakeUseOf comments (i belive) are turned off after 60 days, so you won't be able to post a comment on articles older than 60 days.

But what you are doing here (by responding to what we say) should be exactly the same to what you do on the main makeuseof site.

• nm

You do realise that Disqus is a third party service don't you?

Aside from MUO answers - are you able to comment on some articles on MUO and not on others? If that's the case - then clearly it's an issue with your computer/browser/ISP etc etc.

Make Use Of uses Disqus. So make sure you can access that site and it is not blocked but your ISP or add-ons such as No Script.

7. P Riehl

Unable to connect - Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at disqus.com.

Oops! Google Chrome could not connect to disqus.com

Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage (disqus.com)

Opera (blank page)

8. William Brand

How do I comment on this question? .. Wait what

To put it more simply, you need to type the comment in the 'Add New Comment' area at the bottom of hte page, then click the [Post as...] button. If you haven't got a DISQUS account yet, you will need to create one.

• P Riehl

Thanks for your response. I would have figured that out if their site was working today, but apparently - despite sending me an email - it's not:

"Unable to connect

Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at disqus.com.

* The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few
      moments.

* If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
      connection.

* If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
      that Firefox is permitted to access the Web."

• JailBreak iPhone

I like to post as a guest ................... and posting is a fun for me ........... i like to post on each and every article read by me ........ Its so easy and interactive with DISQUS to post

10. P Riehl

Wow, amazing: you have totally avoided answering the question, which begins with the magic word "how."

The article in question, about Radian, concludes with: "In case you use any other launcher, do let us know in the comments."

Is there a link that says "comment?" No.

Is there a comment box? No.

Do I need to register with makeuseof.com to comment? I see no indication.

So HOW HOW HOW do I make a comment? Is the secret the link to Disqus (which isn't working)? Do I need to establish an account at Disqus?

I've looked at this page in Chrome, Opera and Explorer to try to find something that might not have rendered in Firefox. Nothing.

So, at the risk of being repetitive: HOW is it possible to comment on MakeUseOf?

• Jack Cola

Hi P Riehl,

Not try to be mean or anything, but guess what, you have made a comment by responding to this answer!

What you just did numerous times is the exact same process to post a comment on the main blog.

So what you did to respond to us, do the same. Scroll to the bottom of the page and you should see something similar to this.

P Riehl,

As others have stated above and below, obviously you're able to comment, so Disqus does work for you. And obviously, others can and have commented on the article you mentioned, although you may not be able to see it. To date, comments are not closed on said article.

So I have indeed no way of understanding or telling why you can comment here, but not on the main site. The comment engine is the same on both sites. It looks the same and works the same. You actually do not need to create a Disqus account, you can post your comments as a guest.

One thing that comes to mind though is that the MakeUseOf main site, which hosts the articles, and MakeUseOf Answers are currently on different WordPress installations. Maybe that's the culprit.

P,

of course you can leave comments on MakeuseOf articles! Our comment engine is Disqus. You may need to enable flash. On articles that are older than 90 days comments are disabled and you are redirected to MakeUseOf Answers, which you obviously found.

If you have a question or comment regarding a specific article, feel free to leave it here. We will only publish questions. However, general questions, comments, and feedback are redirected within MakeUseOf if possible.

Hope this answers your question.

• William Brand

Follow up question, how come sometimes it says our posts need to be approved by a moderator?

• Mark O'Neill

A lot of comments that come through are full of spam and multiple links. All of these comments have to be checked by us, one by one, and then either approved or deleted. Not everyone asks a valid comment - many people just want to put their spammy junk on our page :-)

Are you reading us via the RSS feed or newsletter? If so, you need to come to the actual MUO site to comment. Every post has a comments section at the very bottom where you can leave comments.

• P Riehl

I see I'm not permitted followup comments, but 24 hours later I still can't get to the disqus site. Obviously others can. Is it because I'm not in the US?