Can I combine 3G and Wi-Fi connections on my Android phone?
Question by Rajaa Chowdhury /

I have a 3G datacard and also a 3G dataplan in my Android Ice Cream Sandwich smartphone. I want to connect both the internet simultaneously and aggregate the bandwidth. I am aware of a Kickstarter project known as Connectify Dispatch, which does exactly what I want. I also presume that it is in beta stage, however, I am not finding any download link of this particular software. Can anyone provide a solution for me?

Browse other questions & answers in the category ; tagged ; or ask your own question.

• Kannon Y

Rajaa, this is really cool!

The closest thing that I’ve seen is combining both 3G and WiFi data into one accelerated package.

There was an XDA developer who managed to pull this off with the app SuperSpeed.

I would imagine they might know more about similar software projects, if the SuperSpeed app doesn’t already do what you need it to.

• Indronil Mondal

still now u cant use both the connections as one but yes you can configure different apps to use different connections

Guys, it is very much possible, read the link I gave you guys in the question, first. Again for you guys it is http://www.connectify.me/dispatch/

Connectify Dispatch is groundbreaking PC software that lets you connect to all available Internet connections simultaneously, for their combined speed, and increased reliability.
      We just successfully completed a Kickstarter campaign to bring you Connectify Dispatch for PC.
      Combine Multiple Internet Connections

1: Connect your computer to multiple Internet connections
      Activate your 3G/4G device, plug into Ethernet, and connect to one or more Wi-Fi networks (additional Wi-Fi networks require additional USB Wi-Fi cards)
      2: Set priorities for each Internet connection in Dispatch
      Use the dropdown menus for each Internet connection to give Dispatch a hint on how often it should use your Internet connections.
      3: Press ‘Start Local Dispatch’ button to start combining connections!
      Start running Connectify Dispatch and you’ll instantly be cruising the web at warp-speed! Your streaming, web-surfing, and even BitTorrent downloads will be intelligently handled by Dispatch for the fastest possible browsing experience!
      Improved Internet Experience
      • Giving you the fastest Internet connection speed: use any number of 3G, Wi-Fi, and Ethernet links at the same time, for their combined speed.
      • Improving reliability: Connectify Dispatch automatically redirects traffic to another Internet connection when any one connection stops working. It really detects whether connections work or not, and how well… Dispatch is not fooled by Wi-Fi routers that have good signal strength but no working connection to the Internet.
      • Understanding your usage: Connectify Dispatch offers a robust bandwidth and usage analytics dashboard that will help you visualize usage across all available Internet connections. Ever wonder how much bandwidth Netflix uses? Now you can see in real time from the Connectify Dispatch dashboard.
      • Supporting your Connectify Hotspot clients: You can even use Dispatch to support your Connectify Hotspot Wi-Fi clients. Want to get your iPad or another mobile device onto your fast and reliable aggregated Dispatch connection? Just click the Connectify ‘Settings’ tab, and set the Connectify Hotspot ‘Internet to Share’ drop down to ‘Dispatch.’ In Hotspot Dispatch mode, you can accelerate the Internet connection across all of your devices.
      • Dispatch Analytics Dashboard: Connectify Dispatch watches and manages every Internet connection that you have available, providing users with the fastest and most reliable Internet experience, while the Dispatch Dashboard offers real-time graphs and statistics that help users understand how each Internet connection is performing at any given time.
      Connectify Dispatch Features
      • Connection aggregation technology: Use all of your Internet connections for their combined bandwidth. Dispatch supports all common Internet connection types, including Wi-Fi, 3G, 4G, Ethernet, and Dial-up.
      • Platform support: Currently available for Windows 7, XP, and Vista
      • Cost-awareness: Set priorities for Internet connections so that more expensive connections like 3G/4G will only be used when cheap or free connections become slow or disconnect.
      • Dispatch Analytics Dashboard: Friendly and detailed statistics and graphs show you which Internet connections you are using, and how fast they really are.
      • Avoid Common Problems with Internet Connections:Avoid slow DNS servers to make your browsing experience even faster
      • Application-Aware Connection Selection: Advanced settings control which individual programs utilize each Internet connection

• Raghav Gupta

I dont think if it is actually possible

• rakesh mishra

no concept has come yet to do this

• josemon maliakal

Not ..yet, because both use the same resources …..

Sorry for the mis-construction of the question. Actually I want to connect both to my Windows 7 PC and connect simultaneously to the internet and do a load balancing. One is my 3G USB Datacard and the other is a 3G Dataplan on my ICS smartphone which I USB tether to my PC. I hope now the question is clearer. This is exactly what Connectify Dispatch proposes to do when it is ultimately released. But I need a resolution now, so any suggestion.

• Boni Oloff

I think you cant do it. No device can do it. Even a computer needs special configuration to do that.

• Jan Fritsch

Really combining (teaming) is only possible if both ends support this type of connection e.g. two Ethernet ports to the same switch that supports Link aggregation

I believe the correct term for what this software does is load-balancing across all links.

Let’s say your 3G supports 7Mbit and your internet “behind” the WiFi has 8Mbit. Using this tool won’t result in 15Mbit connection speed.
    It would result in some things being loaded via 3G and others via WiFi. It will speed up your browsing experience but an actual file download will run at either 7Mbit or 8Mbit. It won’t load at the speeds of a 15Mbit connection.

This tool or software itself appears to be in development. It’s listet on kickstarter
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/523076551/dispatch-the-internet-faster

Yes you are correct. However, if I do connect my both connections simultaneously to the internet, actually it does have a reverse effect in terms of performance. But Connectify Dispatch will load balance and resolve that isse. Besides I would be able to utilize both the channels as a aggregration for torrent downloads which would certainly be faster.

• Jan Fritsch

I haven’t read through the documentation as software in development may change until it’s final release.

If the load-balancing is per connection it should be able to load torrents across both lines. Most in-expensive or free solutions only do it per application.