Why won’t my college computer open files on my flash drive?

Anonymous September 8, 2012

I am using the collage’s computer, and it won’t read the flash drive that I got from the school. It shows it being plugged in, but when I try to open the files, it requests that i insert the flash drive, refusing to open or look at the files. I moved over to the next computer, and had the same result.

However, my personal computer can read it just fine.

I don’t know the type of flash drive it is, since it was given to me and not bought, but the computer says “Optiplex 755” which I am assuming is what kind it is.

1. DI

A lot of computers that are shared in libraries and colleges and such are set up to not read files off of any kind of usb, or disk drive. It prevents them from becoming infected with malware and such.

2. Alex Perkins

Mostly like others have said its for security. I use google drive to transfer files easily

3. Irshaad Abdool

maybe or am pretty sure the drive's corrupted. try formatting it and then recovering the data back

4. Patrick Jackson

You can enable them, but it would require Administrator access, something not available in colleges again! ;)

5. Patrick Jackson

Well it is something common elsewhere as well. Maybe your college has disabled all the USB ports of the computers. :)

6. Josh Barrett

May also be that your flash drive file system is incompatible with the computer os, but it's not very likely. Just in case, check your home computer to see if it's formated as FAT. but it probably is, so unlikely to be necessary

7. Joel Alar

Maybe your school has an endpoint security that blocks usb drive.

8. Saurav Azad

might be your hdd/sdd drives file system is not supported by your college computer.

9. Kao Vang

Agreed. It may be blocked for security. Are you able to use cloud based alternatives?

10. venkatp16

Seems they have blocked the flash drives.. did you check with your school IT team

11. Tanveer Ahmed

Plug in the USB into the USB ports on the back of the PC not the front panel ones and then restart the PC... now see if it open files.

12. Oluwaphemmy Popoola

Its probably protected from external drives...... for best solution google how to remove protection form external drives(flash drives)

13. Rishabh Arora

I second Raja, IT guys in school disable flashdrives and many other stuff that may allow the students to leak / share / steal confidential information that the organisation, in this case your school, doesn't want to leak.

However, there usually is One/Two separate PCs installed in the school, that allow the students to use their flash drives and maybe internet, too.

I have also observed that sometimes cellphones and MP3 players connected via USB cable are able to bypass the IT restriction.

Hope this is useful.

Lot of school and colleges, disable flash drives on the school network for security and protection from viruses / spyware / malware that may infiltrate from flash drives. So, I suggest kindly first check with your school authorities, if their IT security allows flashdrive to be used within the school network.