How can I collect sayings online?

John Meade August 3, 2011

I want to publish an ebook of sayings, including original ones from web users (Facebook etc.). Can this be done without advertising?

Since an ebook is digital and requires zero investment to produce, I really dont see why you couldn't. 

Do you mean advertising to market and sell the book? Or advertising to fund the book?

• Jmeade426

I want to know what's the least expensive way to collect the
      sayings from hundreds (thousands?) of people.
      I would make the ebook available to those who contributed 
      content.

To "collect" the sayings? Couldn't they just email them to you? How are you proposing to find these people? Famous people, or just regular joes? Does this book have a particular topic, or can the saying be on anything they want?

• Jmeade426

I'm searching for a way to find these people using Facebook/Twitter and
          other social networking sites, rather than resort to a 'chain letter. I want regular joes quotes but celebs would be accepted. The quotes can be on anything but I'll suggest some broad topics, e.g., Money, Politics, Marriage, etc., and as editor I'll decide which quotes to include. How to find content contributors without resorting to a chain letter or similar nuisances is the immediate problem. Getting replies by email would be my first choice.

Well, I think that's going to be quite hard. Even a chain letter wouldn't work I suspect. The only feasible way I can see that working is if a major publication was to pick up your story and say "hey, this guy wants quotes".