Which codecs do I need to work with Sony Vegas and After Effects in Windows 7?

Antonio August 17, 2011

Hello everyone!

Well, after 5 years of having the same Windows XP I am finally getting Windows 7. :)

In those years, iI’ve downloaded several codecs and other stuff for viewing and editing video and subtitles…

Among them are Divx, Xvid, K-lite packs, and Avisynth. And now that I’m changing the computer, I want to know if they are really necessary?

Since I use KMPlayer (which has internal codecs) I believe I don’t need them. But, I use Sony Vegas and After Effects too, and I was wondering if those codecs make a real difference on those editors.

Hope you can help me!

Antonio,

was your question solved by ha14's answer? Please let us know!

Sony Vegas  comes with the Main Concept AVC Codec encoder (2 pass VBR MPEG-2) and the Sony AVC codec encoder (including AVC lossless) and also can encode to h264 with ffmpeg and pretty much any other h264 codec installed on your system: the advantage  with main concept is it utilises dual cpu so is quicker then tmpgenc.

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/mcmpeg12con