Is there a code editor or plugin for Windows that can suggest code?

eltioska (istivan) January 27, 2011

I use Notepad++ for code editing. Now I’ve come across Coda and BBEdit for Mac and there’s one function that they have which seems incredibly useful: code suggestions.

For example when using CSS, if you write “display:” it shows you a pop-up with the variables you can use with the “display:” selector.

Alas neither BBEdit nor Coda are available for Windows and I don’t intend to switch to a Mac, at least not for the forseeable future.

Question time:
01. Is there any way this sweet function can be ‘activated’ or embedded in NP++? (plugins, settings…)
02. Is there any other code editor with this function which has a Windows version?

1. el tio ska

Cheers! Tried the Notepad++ autocomplete function and it works fine :o) Thanks Mike.

Komodo-edit looks good and Eclipse looks awesome, especially for bigger projects.

@Saikat. I had read that list, but I kinda wanted a recommendation from users, rather than a long comparison list. And that's what I got here, thanks to MUO and its readership.

Cheers everyone

2. triclops200

Try Komodo-edit for PHP, HTML, and other web-based languages. http://www.activestate.com/komodo-edit

3. Saikat Basu

Wikipedia has a huge list of Code Editors. Maybe, you can search one which fulfills your requirement. Right below the wiki article, you will see the links to comparison sheets for all varieties of editors.

Here's a post on Smashing Magazine that also looks at 35 Useful Code Editors.

4. Jessica Cam W.

Eclipse, the cross-platform IDE for Java (but I think you can use it for other languages with plugins), provides those suggestions with popups too. For example, when you're typing the variable name of, say, a String data type, you get suggestions for methods, like length() and substring.

Have you tried the Auto-Completion function of N++ and looked through the available plugins?

or maybe look into Notepad2
    http://www.flos-freeware.ch/notepad2.html