Is cloud storage the best solution for me to share files with a client?

Wanda Rivera September 17, 2012

I work with a photography studio abroad retouching pictures. They have to send me pictures to fix and I send back the finished product.

My question here is, what do you think is the best way of doing this, in a free way, meaning: I have opened a free cloud storage account, and opened one for them, where we have to upload the files to each account and send the links for the download process. It seems to be a tedious process, and I really don’t know if there is a better and faster way of doing this.

My operating system is Mac and they have Windows, so this would have to work on both!

Thank you for your help!!!

Wanda

1. sean wayne

Hi Wanda Rivera
    If you are facing problems in sharing, you can get some really awesome cloud services here is the list of top photo cloud storage, it will definitely make your work easy. Have fun. http://bit.ly/YQiU8Y

I use Googe Drive and Bitcasa personally. Each have awesome sharing features. It just depends on your personal preference. Best thing to do is try different ones until one suits you the best.

3. Saurabh Kumar

i love using mediafire. Its the fastest. You can also use googledrive or skydrive...

4. Vishal Srivastava

I'd suggest using Google Drive and its Share feature...

5. Somaiya Ebrahim

I use SkyDrive..its good and not too slow

6. Rakesh Mishra

yes it is secure and very easy to use

7. kumar raja

glidedigital.com is super i ever seen its an online os for u and it can store upto 20 GB free

8. Leyon Chung

Hello Wanda Rivera,

It’s more likely a case of freelance working. By saying this I do not mean that you are doing a freelance work but as you work remotely from your location to yield your company the required work without jumping into the tedious process of sending files here and there.

Let me kick-off thing by sharing my experience and suggestion. Cloud storage is one stop shop alternative or option which you need to use for the subjected purpose. Even you do not need to send the files all the time. All what you need to do is to share your folder / files with your subordinates and superiors (In the office) and they can access the files in the real time. Sharing link isn’t a good option, I believe. It is better to share the whole folder so that both the parties can access to it.

I have been using Dropbox for 6 months and it empowers me to share, save and access all my files and documents from any place in the world. Not only this, it also allows me to share the document with my team members so that they can work on the same document to make sure that all of us are on the same page.

Other options include; SugarSync, JustCloud, Live Drive and Mozy. They are the among the best cloud storage.

Source: http://www.cloudreviews.com/blog/best-cloud-storage-providers

9. Leyon Chung

Hello Wanda Rivera,

try dropbox and google drive.

11. allan jay monteclaro

I'm also working freelance and I often use cloud services. For text-based output I normally use Evernote. I share the link of a note once and everytime I update it the client gets to see it right away. It is also a way for the client to check the progress I am making. For other files, such as photos etc. I use Dropbox, SkyDrive, Sugarsync or Box.net. It depends on what the client us using. I prefer SkyDrive as I get 25GB from it.

12. Pwince Khan

Yes its safe untill you are safe..some examples are-

Google Drive
    Mediafire
    CloudApp
    Dropbox
    Microsoft skydrive
    Box.com

BUt most of them dont give you more than 25mb free. BUt they are safe for sharing.

13. Vipul Bansal

Cloud Storage is emerging at a fast pace due to its 'mobile-usability'.
    And it isn't that tedious.
    You can use google drive(5GB), microsoft's skydrive(7GB), dropbox(2GB) for storing your data.
    There's an option of sharing a file. Just makeuseof it to allow your clients easily share it. You don't need to to make 2 different accounts for sharing.

14. Imesh Chandrasiri

try sky drive... it is free and does the work you want!

15. Areeb Majeed

yes...

16. Steve Douglas

I would say yes depending on what content is being shared. I use dropbox and skydrive for file transfers between me and clients or my partner.

17. HLJonnalagadda

I use SkyDrive. It is very convenient and gives me 25 GB for free. Also has a host of features and it now accessible from anywhere. I was using box.net but moved all my files to SkyDrive now!

18. shaurya gupta

cloud is the best option. installing the cloud application is even better.

19. macwitty

If your clients aren't much into computers, cloud storage and so on but are familiar with email I would suggest you using Dropbox and the app Sendto dropbox (http://sendtodropbox.com/) Then you will get an emailadress where your client can send their photos and you will get it into your Dropbox together with their message, inkl emailadress.
    After you have retouching their pictures you can eg put it in your public folder and send them the link by email and they can by just a click download it.

Sugarsync has similar service

I think, in general, that it is better if clients dont have to sign up for other services and download things - some of them might not be able

20. hemanth

Depends on the service you signed up for.. 4shared is my personal favorite

21. Erlis Dhima

If you wanna hear my opinion, I would recommend you Mediafire. (I use it myslef, and I'm happy! :) )
    Also, if you want a service that offers syncing, than go for Dropbox or Box! (I like them both! But as I said, mediafire is the one I prefer...)
    Still, if you see at the size limit, Mediafire has 50 Gb for free users, Dropbox - 2Gb, Box - 5Gb..
    Also, another method would be using a server that uses http://ftp.. If you have access to one, than using a FTP client, you can easily send & receive files! But most of the secure servers out there are with a monthly payment!
    Anyway, hope it helped!

22. 573d1210d64cc82ed1979188e3b9622a

using dropbox and microsoft skydrive or even sugarsynce are very excellent free ones

23. Bruce Thomas

Box.com allows you to set up work folders to act like a project, where team members can access the folder but are excluded from your other work. I'm only learning to use it, but the concept looks good and Box.com is developing services to enhance the experience with new tools.

24. GXGOW

My personal favorite to share pictures is CloudApp, but the upload limit for a free account is 25 MB and you can only upload 10 files a day. I don't think it comes in handy for you. You could try Google Drive to share multiple files or whole folders. It does that job better than Dropbox.

25. Andy

i used dropbox for online sharing. works on both windows and mac and it's FREE.

If the photo studio doesn't use professional software and is comfortable with web apps,then it would be easy for both the parties to use Pixlr app -

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/google-in-the-enterprise/put-a-full-featured-image-editor-directly-into-google-drive-with-pixlr/1212

27. Muhammad Ahmad

Dropbox is better than any other sharing tool. Just install dropbox on both pc's either they are windows or mac and than sign up here http://db.tt/wtEz7lqk your partner also need to sign up and than create an account and configure it with your dropbox application. Than just create a folder in your dropbox folder and share it with your client. After that when you place any file in that share folder it will automatically downloaded on your clients computer. There is 2GB free space but you can purchase more space. You can also get more space for referring it to your friends. In addition you will get extra space if you upload photos using your imaging device.

Use Google Drive and use the share feature of it. :)

29. Jhon H. Caicedo

The cloud solution seems to be the best and easier to implement. I personally use dropbox for sharing but may be something like Box.com could be more useful for you since you can share folder read-only so your employer can copy the files but no delete them. Keep in mind that you should set a shared folder so the files appear on your own local folder automatically and you don't have to share urls for every file.

30. Dylan Brendan

Depends on the service you signed up for.. MediaFire is my personal favorite.. ;)

• Wanda Rivera

I'm at the moment with OpenDrive... but I'm doing also trials with wuala and others! Will definitely try mediaFire too! thanks