How to close a document in Google Drive without saving?

Orb E February 4, 2014

OK a Google search was no help. Anything I could find was at least 2 years old.

So I opened a Google Document from my Google Drive.

First of all, maybe I’m blind, but I cannot see how to close the document, aside from just closing the Tab.

Given that it automatically autosaves constantly, what if I made a bunch of changes, but decide I just want to close it without changes?

I realize I could just keep hitting Ctrl Z to get back where I was, but c’mon, where is the close button, followed by a Save Changes dialog box?

Thanks smarter people than me!

1. Orb E

Susendeep, I don't see where I 'choose' an answer, and was unaware I was supposed to in order to resolve it. All the responses were helpful. Perhaps there is an element I am not allowing w/ NoScript, because I just don't see how I can choose a best response. (I am allowing makeuseof.com) And yes I am logged in.

2. Orb E

Thanks for all the responses. Being a new user, it just kind of threw me for a loop, and I thought it was stupid. But now that I think about it, it's pretty clever, and better than Word.

• Susendeep D

Orb,

Kindly choose a best response so that your question can get resolved.

3. kihara

Sorry, that's not possible in Drive.

4. David N

You can't close the Document without saving it since Google Drive is auto saving every time you make a change. However you can view any revisions made to that Document by clicking the link at the top of the Document "Last edited was on..." This will give you a side bar with various versions of the Document for you to go back to.

5. Matt S

I don't think you can close a document without saving, but if you go to File --> Revisions, you can recover earlier versions.

You're not missing anything. The documents save frequently, hence there's no "Save" and there's no "close without saving". On the other hand, within the drive window (at least on the web, I don't bother with the app), there's an "Activity" panel which records your activity and allows you to backtrack to an earlier stage, sort of a cross of Dropbox's "Previous versions" and Photoshop's "History" panels.

As workaround After you login to Google Drive download the file, work ,on the desktop if you like the changes made close the doc and reupload to Google Drive.

i think Google Drive auto-saves your Google document revision history. You can view document versions in a list on the right side of the screen by choosing File-See Revision History. Also you can view smaller revision by clicking the Show More Detailed Revisions button at the bottom of the Revision History column. Click on any of the earlier versions then click the Restore This Version link to revert your document back to your chosen previous state.

you can try Backupify
    https://www.backupify.com/products/google-apps-backup
    save your docs and restore them if something goes wrong?