How can I clone a 120 GB hard drive running Windows 7 to a 500 GB OPM hard drive?

Steve January 18, 2011

I have Windows 7 Ultimate on my desktop. I had a 120 GB parallel hard drive running on it. I bought a new WD 500 GB serial hard drive.

First the computer would not recognize the new hard drive and would not format nothing. Could not find a program that would clone the 120 GB hard drive to the 500 GB hard drive. Could not get the 500 GB hard drive to take Windows 7 Ultimate. Finally, disconnected 120 GB hard drive and was able to get the 500 GB hard drive to take Windows XP Pro 64-bit.

The 500 GB hard drive was OPM and came with nothing. What a mess, how do straighten this out?

Steve,

was Fidelis' suggestion helpful? Please let us know in case you need more answers!

Here is a link for you:

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/5-ways-to-clone-and-copy-your-hard-drive/

By the way, that is weird. I have not heard about a recent/new hard drive not being able to take the newer operating system but it takes an old one. New project to research.

Usually when you install a new hard drive and it is not recognized is because it is not formatted, not initialized, cables are not plugged right, cables are defective or the drive is bad....Also, sometimes you need to get a BIOS and a chipset update. Did you check in your computer management screen to see if the drive was recognized there? With Windows 7 you may have to use disk management to initialize the disk before the system recognizes it. Have you at any time had Norton Goback installed?

Final questions...What kind of errors was it giving you when you tried installing Windows 7 Ultimate? Are you sure that the installation disk is in good shape? no smudges, scratches, marks, etc..