Why did my clipboard disappear when upgrading to IE8?

Merlyn April 7, 2010

I updated IE to IE8, and my clipboard disappeared. Am a newbie and don’t know the technical aspect of installing a replacement. Am using Vista 32 bit.

Merlyn,

I'm pretty sure your clipboard is still there. I think you were indeed confused by a technical term, i.e. "clipboard".

Your clipboard is the place where things are stored temporarily when you copy them. You don't have to open your clipboard to copy anything to it, it's done automatically.

For example if you select some text and copy it by right-clicking on the selected text and picking "copy" from the menu, it will automatically be stored in what is called the clipboard. If you can still copy and paste text, for example from a website to a text document, then your clipboard works fine.

Here is an article on how you can easily view the content of your clipboard. It explains how you can actually launch your clipboard. But as I said, you don't have to in order to copy something to it.

I hope my guess was right and it was just a simple misunderstanding. Otherwise please try to explain it again. Maybe you could give us a link to the advice that you had issues understanding.

2. Merlyn Low

Hi Tina,

Sorry should have clarified that the Windows clipboard itself disappeared. Notepad is still there. I notice that it was missing when I was following instructions to copy to clipboard and I couldn't find it.

I made a search and discovered that many others had the same problem. However, the advice given was too technical for me to implement. I didn't understand the instructions. Hope that helps.

Regards,
    Merlyn

Merlyn,

can you please clarify which clipboard you're talking about?

Do you mean you can no longer copy text to your Windows clipboard, i.e. copy something from IE8 and paste it somewhere else?