How can I clip something to the Mac desktop when it is covered by open windows?

Glenn Herrick April 23, 2011

I’d like to be able to select some text and drag the selection to the desktop to create a clipping for later filing, BUT, usually the application window obscures the finder desktop. It would be grand if there were some move to allow me to temporarily shrink everything to reveal the desktop so it is accessible to drag to.

1. Milad Ghattavi

use hot corners. or if u have a trackpad, use four fingers up gesture while u're holding one finger of ur other habd for dragging the text

You can use either Screen Corners or Expose to show the Desktop.

Just open up the System Preferences and go into the Expose & Spaces settings (Dashboard & Expose for 10.4). There you can assign either a (function)key or a screen corner to hide all open Apps and Finder windows and show the Desktop.

• G Herrick

Lovely! Setting a screen corner to reveal the desktop lets me select the text and drag it to that corner and when the desktop appears then drop the clipping to wherever I want it, even into a folder — "clippings to file" — on the desktop. Thank you Mike, and Milad too. I guess I'm going to want to explore Expose & Spaces, a jungle I've always been able to avoid here-to-fore.
      Glenn 11_04_24 10:11 PM