Why does clicking on a Google search result direct me to a wrong website?
Question by Raj Bikkani /

I use Mozilla. After Google search, if I click on any results, it takes me to some other place. If I click on Cached it takes to the right place. Please advise.

Browse other questions & answers in the category , ; tagged , , ; or ask your own question.

Hello, your browser is being hijacked. Download and run full scans of the following software:

Delete or quarantine any entries found and if you have an antivirus installed make sure to update it and also run a full scan. Here are a couple of good free antivirus if you do not have one installed.

Also go to this site and do a scan. After the scan it will let you know if there are more recent versions of software installed in your computer that are known to have vulnerabilities:

When redirections happen, it is because usually malware installes a proxy on your browser. If you are using Internet Explorer do the following:

— Open Internet Explorer
    — On menu, click on Tools
    — click on Internet options
    — on menu, click on connections
    — click on LAN settings
    — uncheck use a proxy server for your LAN
    — click on ok and ok
    — close your browser

Also you might want to check your addons. Once you get to the place to manage your addons, you can diseable or uninstall them if not needing or were installed by malware. Before disabling any addon make sure you research it.

— Open Internet Explorer
    — Tools
    — Internet Options
    — on menu, click on Programs
    — Find and click Manage Addons
    — Disable or uninstall what you do not need, or is causing your redirection problem
    — click ok and ok
    — close your browser

does clicking on a Google search result re-direct you to a shopping website by any chance?

It sounds like you’re dealing with malware on your computer. We have had similar questions in the past. Please check out the answers below:
    Why is Google Redirecting me to Shopping Sites?
    Why does Internet Explorer open websites from a Google search that I haven’t clicked on?
    Why do Google search results on my Mac not relate to the question I entered?

Please follow the suggestions made in reply to these questions and let us know whether they solved your issue. Thank you!