Can I make clickable shortcuts to macros?
Question by donkeytappr /

I love Windows 7’s slideshow backgrounds and being able to flip through them. I like to hide and unhide my icons.

So what I’m wondering is…

1) Are there macros that do this?

2) Can I make a shortcut to them via the context menu’s “New Shortcut”?

2A) Could the shortcut then be pinned to my taskbar?

Anyone?

Browse other questions & answers in the category , ; tagged .
Windows Tips
Windows Tips
Windows_10
Windows_10
Best Windows Software
Best Windows Software
Windows Troubleshooting
Windows Troubleshooting
Mac OSX Tips & Issues
Mac OSX Tips & Issues

• Guest

I've recently met and fallen in love with AutoHotKey. It's not perfect, because the 'language' is pretty arcane and there's no simple way to list all of the various shortcuts (and conflicts) that you'll create. But I can't argue with results; it works so well that I got rid of WinKey, a shortcut manager that I've used for years and years.

And WinKey isn't bad at all, by the way, but AutoHotKey has a lot more functionality.

I might have latched onto AutoIT, too, but I found AHK first, and that's where my loyalty lies now.

• William Brand

I must be missing something because I didn't know Windows 7 had controls to flip through your desktop slideshow. Can you clarify a little how you do it, or maybe you mean something other than your wallpaper?And if you want to hide your desktop icons you can right click on your desktop, go to "view," and uncheck "Show desktop icons."

As for your shortcuts question: I use AutoIt for all of my macros and you could pretty easily link to an individual script. If you don't want to keep AutoIt installed each script can even be compiled as a .exe and you could create a shortcut to that. Even better it's possible to customize things like the icon so you easily know what it does on your task bar.

• donkeytappr

The macro I'm wanting to be able to pin to my taskbar is: Ctrl+Shift+F10, Up arrow, Up arrow, Up arrow, Up arrow, Up arrow, Return. This would simulate Right-Clicking the desktop and going through the context menu every time I wanted to change my wallpaper.