What is the best Clear Coat I could use to protect my laptop paint job?

toccata a fuga March 16, 2011

I have recently repainted my HP530 laptop using Rustoleum Spray Paint. I am planning to add up some Clear Coats, but don’t know which clear coat is the best for protection.

So which of the following clear coat material should I use?
1. Clear Coat Enamel?
2. Acrylic Clear Coat Spray?
3. Vinyl Clear Coat Spray?

Is polyurethane safe or not?

1. Josh Fox

Many protective skins use vinyl material. This is probably for a good reason, it can give a decent shine and excellent protection. Personally, from my experience in seeing how well vinyl looks and protects, I would go with that.

Just for curiosity, what kind of paint job is it? Designed or just a new color? I'd kind of like to see how it turned out.

I'm not an expert in either painting nor case modding but usually the protection of clear coat is only so limited that I'm not sure it's worth the money and effort.
    It is usually used to add glossy effect or similar but not really for protective reasons.

If you decide to transport your laptop next to your house or car keys it will get scratched one way or another. I guess the better idea is to apply 2-4 color coats to get some depth into the paint (which will make surface scratches not that visible).