What is this classic old RPG/adventure game from 1991?

jess March 7, 2012

Hi friends,

There was a game I played in the school computer lab when I was in grade 5, so I would have been 10, which puts the year at 1991. Not sure if the game was new or old at that point. Pretty sure it was on a 3.5″ floppy disk which we put into the computers. I’ve always thought they were Apple computers but my memory just isn’t good enough to know that for sure.

This game was a tile-based adventure/RPG in which you were some generic-looking hero. I do not know the goal of the game, but you started out in a sort of “overworld”. Directly above (to the north) the starting point was a castle. The castle was rather large. Entering the castle’s tile would transport the player into the castle, which was its own set of tiles (a separate “zone” if you will). The king, queen, and court jester were directly above, or you could go left/right and explore the castle. At some area of the castle was an executioner as well as a secret passage into a strange dungeon where I picked up a bone once. I don’t know what the bone did, as I died shortly thereafter.

If you traveled West from the starting point you would come across a small shop. The shopkeeper had weapons and one of the interesting features was that you could haggle the price of his wares. I remember all of my friends would try to haggle the price of the mace/morning star to try and get it around the 180 gold affordable range (pretty sure you started with 200 gold – though not sure the currency was gold).

The interface was rather simple. There was a “doll” sort of thing on the right side of the screen showing an outline of your character and what he held in his hands (possibly outlines of armor as well). At the bottom was a place for text input. You could speak with NPCs in the text box.

There was a hermit somewhere near the starting area. If you asked him for his name he said something along the lines of he was a hermit and did not need a name.

I have been looking for this game for ten years and have never been able to find its title, let alone actually find a copy of the game to buy. If anyone happens to remember based on my memories they’d be my eternal hero.

1. Dave Parrack

Having Googled all of the suggestions early Ultima seems to resemble the description the closest. What do you think, Jess?

2. David Bousson

Yeah, that sounds like Ultima...

3. LindaW

It sounds like Ultima to me.

4. Mtbkrbull

could be any number of RPG's.  Including Wolfenstein.  try a google search for "early RPG's"

5. Victor Lopez Jr

Chaos World

6. guest13

Drakkan, possibly?

7. Abc

Sounds like Fraggle Rock visits the king's castle. Great game!

8. Shahruqh

I thing Its contra