How to cite definitions from the research feature in Microsoft Word 2007?

Kasey Lewis November 5, 2012

I got a few definitions from the research feature in Microsoft Word. But Now I would like to know how to cite them, so my paper isn’t plagiarized because I didn’t write the definitions. Thanks.

Hello Kasey!

As someone who has used the Word 2010 citation feature extensively (which is really good), my preference is for other online solutions.

This is because the MSWord feature pulls its information from a large catalog of databases, but then fails to properly cite each particular reference, so it's hard to figure out exactly where each bit of research originated.

To get references, you will need to find out where each definition came from. To see the various research options that MSWord uses, hit the research icon and go to the very bottom of the right-hand bar. You'll see "research options". Click on that and you'll see the list of sources used in finding your definitions.

Bibme.org is my go-to website for creating bibliographies. More importantly, it has specific instructions on how to cite for each style, such as MLA, Chicago and more. Just choose the tab pertaining to your definition (I believe it would be the "website" tab). It also has a section for citing Encyclopedias, under the "other" tab.

Site: Bibme.org

Easybib.com is another excellent resource for citation rules and examples. Here's a reference on how to cite a definition using MLA.

There might be an internal feature within Word for providing proper citation, but I have no idea how, unfortunately.

2. Lisa Santika Onggrid

I'm not sure. You might want to ask Microsoft what reference they use to populate their dictionaries.