Why is my Cisco Linksys E1000 router producing two signals, and is it affecting my Internet speed?

earl hicks September 11, 2012

There are 2 signals coming off my Cisco Linksys E1000 router. I have one that is an unidentified network, it is unsecured and labeled net-guest. I do not use that one at all.

The second one is labeled E-net, and that’s the one that I use, and it is secured with a password. I would like to know if this is affecting my Internet speed, I can’t tell because my new connection is faster than the DSL I am used to.

1. earl hicks

To all 4 that responded thanks for the info, and it did work. This web site is cool, I will try and learn as much as I can.

2. GrrGrrr

u can disable the guest connection as u r not going to use it.

3. Kao Vang

Probably the guest AP. Normally it should be protected with a password as well, but just in a different way. It shouldn't affect our speed but if you aren't using it, you can turn it off in the settings.

4. Elrick Browne

192.168.1.1 enter admin for user admin for password (or whatever password if you changed it) then go to wireless at the top and turn off guess then save changes

The guest network allows access to the internet but not your internal machines. I generally disable this when I set up networks for others. If you do not use it and don't wish to allow others unfettered access to the internet via your connection, you should disable it. Also, the only way it would affect your internet speed is if others are using it at the same time you are using your secured connection although it may have a lower priority being a guest network (QoS settings).