Why does Chrome suddenly have the inability to load Facebook?
Question by Xoandre /

For months now, I have become more adept at using Chrome for browsing the web. I still alternate between Chrome and Firefox for much of my online activities, as Firefox does some things better than Chrome anyway.

My main reason for installing Chrome in the first place was to find a browser (besides IE) that will load Facebook Apps properly and allow them to run fast. This does not ever happen in Firefox, by the way. Facebook loads, but the apps make me feel like I am on a 28.8 Modem back in 1994 when i use Firefox.

The other day, I opened Chrome and suddenly Facebook (which is my homepage and the only tab that opens when I start Chrome) would load the page but I could not click anything, the loading circle keeps spinning and I cannot do anything in Facebook.

This could just be Facebook itself becoming a behemoth of lag, as it has always been when using Firefox, but on a testing whim, I opened it in IE and everything loaded fast and fully ready to go.

So —

1. Why is Facebook becoming so laggy?

2. Is there some change that Chrome made which now causes Facebook and its apps to never finish loading?

3. Any clue what might be causing IE to do everything faster and better than either Firefox or Chrome?

Browse other questions & answers in the category , ; tagged , , , ; or ask your own question.

• Oron

One thing worth trying is disabling ALL extensions and trying to access the site. If it works fine, start adding the extensions one at a time (or two at a time if you have many) and find out when the problem occurs.

• cfbrown (???)

been experiencing the same thing for the past couple of days. Facebook will load but when I get to the bottom of the page it will not only will not load more posts but when I click on “more options”… nothing.

• Farmer Sim

i have the problem in facebook ……….when i use facebook in chrome the showing style suddenly change,,,my account loads but in every thing it shows the loading sign i can’t do anything plzz help

• Garnetnjade

I also have this problem for 3 weeks now. facebook works fine when I use mozilla but not with chrome. I already cleared cache and disabled extension but nothing happens. I am just seeing the blue facebook bar at the top of the page, the rest are blank. Please help.

• Sandy

Hi,

I was facing the same issue. I uninstalled-reinstalled, cleared cache and browsing data but still the problem remained. And the solution I found out was just a simple one. I had an extension called pop-up blocker. I disabled it and everything started running fine. My facebook is back to normal now. Try disabling extensions, close browser and restart.

Thanks for sharing your solution, Sandy!

• Soniarogers1

I don’t have this pop up blocker.   This is frustrating.  I have done everything I can think of and no one seems to have an answer.  

• cheekychops

i am having trouble too, it seems to be either a windows update or adobe update which is not letting any browser load facebook…..so frustrating!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Oron

Have you tried all the suggestions on the list? Deleting cached files & cookies, disabling extensions etc?

• cheekychops

Oh believe me, i have tried everything for a week now!! I thought it was a case of deleting and disabling, but to no avail. I have found a solution, well it worked earlier, I deleted the Internet Explorer 9 update…. its running on IE8 perfectly, I didnt realise my new pc was running IE9, and with the recent update about 3 weeks ago, something didnt quite work… check yr updates and see if that is the problem :-)

• Alex

This helped me so much! Thank you!!

possible you have installed some plugins or some softwares did that to chrome.

In Chrom preferences page-Advanced Options , you would notice a settings called “predict network action to improve page load performance“. uncheck this option and see if will help you if not re-check.

try cleaning chrome
    http://www.google.com/support/chrome/bin/answer.py?answer=95582

• Jeff Fabish

1.) The problem that you’re experiencing is most likely a script taking a while to respond. Clear your cache, restart your browser and try again. The reason this occurs in some browsers but not in others is because each browser uses a separate parsing engine and is able to handle scripts differently. 

2.) Not to my knowledge, but you can always revert to a previous version of Chrome to test that theory. You must disable automatic updating in order to retain a previous version of Chrome. 

3.) As I stated previously, Internet Explorer, Firefox and Chrome have different script engines which interpret and execute the code, one browser may be more adept to parsing a given line of code than another browser’s engine. 

I have this problem quite often and like you, I’m able to use Chrome for some things and not on others. When I start getting the “busy” mouse icon in Chrome, if I clear my cache and restart the browser it’s usually fine again. If that fails, check your extensions and make sure that none of them are conflicting.