Why does Chrome keep signing me out every time I quit?
Question by Martyn Jones /

I have to sign in to Chrome every time I open it. I had a problem with that New Tab For Chrome extension and removed everything from my computer but it still keeps coming back when I start Chrome. I remove it and it’ll be back next time. I searched my registry for anything with New Tab For Chrome and found a few keys and deleted them. So i figured it’s in the Chrome startup scripts, nope – searched them too and nothing. I deleted the extension from the extension folder and BANG it’s back next time (well, not really bang more of a surreptitious sneak into the extensions). I’ve reinstalled it twice with no luck too.
I’m at a loss now and it’s starting to annoy me – with my email and password I have to type in 40 characters to log in every time.

Browse other questions & answers in the category ; tagged , , , , ; or ask your own question.

• K

I’m having the same sorts of problems. I’d had Chrome for awhile with no trouble at all, but recently I was having trouble with it starting to lag TERRIBLY – to the point where I’d have to turn off my computer for awhile and then restart it (and this is a new computer). So I – at the advice of others – uninstalled Chrome and reinstalled it, and that’s when the problems started. Whenever I close my browser, it signs me out of Chrome. It keeps me logged into Gmail, Facebook, whatever else, but it logs me out of Chrome itself – and because I’m using a Toshiba, it opens up a Toshiba start-up screen every time I open a new browser despite resetting my settings numerous times. I didn’t have it set to delete cookies (though I just cleared them out a few minutes ago in case that helped in some way). I’ve changed the settings time and time again, but it just gets reset every time I close my browser.

Plus it’s still lagging. Chrome’s becoming more trouble than what it’s worth.

I don’t know what to do and I’ve been searching for days for an answer that no one seems to have. I uninstalled and reinstalled it again in case it was a fluke, but that didn’t help.

• AR

I had the same problem as many of you… Just managed to resolve it:

1. Run chrome as an administrator
      2. Sign in (enter application specific password etc)
      3. Sync everything
      4. Go to settings
      5. Check that it is your default browser
      6. Set the page to open when starting up chrome to http://www.google.com

Im sure some of this is irrelevant, but i just wrote down everything I did to get mine to work.

Good luck!

• Valentint

Same problem. Mac.

• Pratik

I am having the same problem. Every time I start my PC and open chrome it opens a page ‘beautiful web ‘ something alike instead of pages from my settings. It looses all its settings , bookmarks, an all. It looks like I have done a fresh installation. And what it does not end here It installs an extension automatically, which I had never Installed before. Waiting for your response. plz let me know if thereexists a solution…

• miglenda

I have changed over to Chrome and are having the same problems as everyone else. I have to sigh in every time and it only opens to a tab….Have run the gauntlet of doing everything on every post and there are dozzzens of them saying the same thing…Need a genuine way to make it happen otherwise I might have well stayed with firefox

• dragonmouth

Sounds like your Chrome browser was hijacked. You need to run anti-malware scans and get rid of the hijacker. I’m sure others can suggest the proper software to use. I have not used Windows in a long while so I do not know what is the best software.

After installing a fresh Chrome do not sync with the data stored with your gmail account.

• Martyn Jones

What good is that? The reason I want it synced is that it has all my bookmarks and passwords saved!
      Even if I don’t sync that New Tab For Chrome still pops up

• Irshaad Abdool

hve u tried the ‘keep me signed in’ option?
    or u can use the browser’s password manager to store the password and input them automatically each time you open the page

• Martyn Jones

I can’t find a ‘keep me signed in’ option – can you do a screen grab for me and post a link so I know where to find it. There’s nothing in the security settings and nothing on the log in pop-up.

• Irshaad Abdool

wep u r right, i just checked it

• Irshaad Abdool

could u try uninstalling n reinstalling chrome?

• Martyn Jones

Three times so far – With beta and with latest version. I can sign in at work and it stays signed in but not at home.

• Irshaad Abdool

ah ok, then the problem is with your pc for sure.
      maybe you are using windows 64-bits version thats not fully cmpatible with chrome, am not sure abt that, need to check.
      btw, is chrome your default browser?

• Martyn Jones

Chrome is my default browser and the only one I use unless the website won’t work in it then I use IE 64 bit but thats only once a month.
      I’ve never had this problem before in all my years of using Chrome and I’ve had a 64 bit computer for as long.

• Irshaad Abdool

also, try to add another user from the settings tab. then login as the other user

• Martyn Jones

I have in the past but couldn’t remember what happened. I added a new user – signed in – it synced everything but when I close Chrome and open it again “You are currently the only Google Chrome user.” and I have to log in again.

• Martyn Jones

Shortcut is fine – I’ve got the latest version – uninstalled it three times – tried the beta – there’s no option to sign in automatically – where is it?

• Alex Perkins

Try uninstalling and then reinstalling it.

• Harish Jonnalagadda

Yes. You can set the login to automatic. If that does not work, doing a fresh install would be the best suggestion.

• Charming Chowdary

i think you should change the settings in start up page , may be you have opted for “open a specific page o set of pages” just go for settings and look for this setting .if it opted you will find the pages that are annoying you .click on it and delete the pages. if this option is fine with “open a new tab” then the browser setting is okay , may then you should uninstall the browser DOWNLOAD a new version and then install it

• Raj Sarkar

I think you should do a fresh install of your browser.