Why do the Chrome links I dragged from the bookmarks bar to the XP desktop NOT work when dragged back in Windows 7?

Joseph V January 18, 2014

I’m looking to share internet browser shortcuts across different Windows desktops (with different operating systems).

To accomplish this, I did the following:

1. On an XP machine, I opened Chrome, navigated to the web pages I want to share, and dragged the little icon on the address bar to the Windows XP desktopĀ at this point, if I click that icon, the Chrome browser opens, and navigates to the page I want to save and share – as expected.
  2. I then dragged my shortcut desktop items to Google DocsĀ then saved with a ‘.url’ extension.
  3. I then logged into a Windows 7 machine, logged into Google Docs, and downloaded the .url links to the Windows 7 desktop.

None of of the bookmarks would open on Windows 7.

What step did I leave out ? or what do I have to do to get these .url files to open chrome and navigate to the desired page – as they did on XP ?

Thanks very much.

1. Karon L

If you were going to "bookmark" this way...
    Why wouldn't you just link to the sites via Google Docs (since you put them there instead of a bookmarks folder) in windows 7 (or wherever) then if you needed to drag them back out, do it from the site once it's opened there?

So...find sites, drag out, upload to Docs
    Go to new computer, go to Docs, click links to open
    Drag links to desktop.

Hovsep nailed it, but if you're using Chrome on different computers, the better solution is to log onto Chrome and let it sync. the bookmarks via the cloud. Or, you could use XMarks to sync. not only across different operating systems (including Mac OS etc) but also across different browsers.

Admittedly, these forms of cloud sync. will only synchronise bookmarks/favourites, rather than URL shortcuts on the desktop, but they will keep the systems in sync. with each other all the time, withou the need for you to manually update one system or the other on a regular basis.

Control Panel - Default Programs section of the Control Panel to set a browser to set a browser: