Which Chrome extension can inform me when my email has been deleted?

Drsunil V March 9, 2014

Which Chrome extension can inform me when my email has been deleted, by the recipient?

Please note question is not for email opened or read receipt. I’m speaking only of deleted messages.

1. Kelsey T

Sitting here pondering your need for this, I think you'd be better served using one of the self-destructing email services. Read this article from a highly-respected source:

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/self-destruct-the-future-of-personal-communication/

I second Jan's comment. I guess you are not asking about mail client receipts though, but about something more circumstancial, such as the email marketing tools that can tell you (sometimes) when someone has opened your message. However, here too there's absolutely no way to find out if someone has deleted a message.
    The email system works by sending a message and (once it has been accepted by the SMTP server for forwarding), forgetting about it. The sending machine loses contact with the message, so the only way you can get a notification is if the message is either bounced by a server along the way (non-delivery-receipt) or if the message is opened at the other end, and it is engineered to trigger some action on a server (usually by requesting an image from a web server). Deletion, however, is not an action that's built into the message itself, or into the email transport mechanism.
    In short, there's no way to do what you ask, at least not one that will work universally.

I cannot help you directly with an extension but as a general suggestion you really shouldn't rely on receipts to verify your email communication.

First of, you cannot get one without the other. There is no actual 'delete receipt' function but it is all tied up within the read receipts. Basically if a message is requesting a read receipt but is being deleted in an "unread" state the notification is considered a 'delete receipt'.

That being said this only works if the client program actually supports receipts and the user has chosen to send it.

Apple Mail for example ignores receipts all together. The user doesn't even get asked to send one.
    Outlook on Windows should prompt the user by default for either, sending a read receipt when the message is being opened or sending a delete receipt if the message is being deleted unread.

Given that spammers often use receipts to verify email addresses some people have deactivated them in the settings and some anti-spam filter might strip the request from the email header so people don't even realize it's being requested.