Why does chrome.exe appear so many times in my task manager?

August 13, 2014

When checking the task manager I see up to 10 chrome.exe running at the same time. My CPU utilisation goes from 4% to 45% and even jumps up 100% in a mater of seconds just by watching it. I am doing nothing that I know of in the background but my personal skill levels are not very good as far as understanding how things work. This seems to have started a few months ago but I can’t nail down what if any program did this. I did update to Malwarebytes pro but I think that was after I was already having the problems. I just don’t know where else to look, I have opened every link on the control panel but I am afraid to touch anything I don’t understand and that covers a lot of them!!

Please help Richard O..

1. Cttimber

Chrome.exe is 07 to 28 %
    system idle jumps 41to 76% + at times
    There are 70 process running now but was 73 last night..
    cpu usage varies from 20 to 98 % in single jumps within seconds..
    Commit Charge 1872M / 5
    The only tabs open is gmail and Makeuseof answers
    I do have Malwarebytes Pro , Comodo , Advanced Registry Doctor and Spyware Blaster running also all the time but I only see Malwarebytes in the processes window.. Weatherbug runs, Dell quick set is there but I don't know if it runs and just a few normal notifications (on ac power, wireless network and local area connection) I do have a SeaGate notice Icon but the portable hard drive is not connected, I usually connect it for a day to catch up and then disconnect for a month or so.. Just a few seconds ago the CPU was at 100 % for a short time several times.. A low of 10 % to 100% ? in one jump, Something is running wild ??
    Richard

To summarise the specs of your machine so far, it's got an Intel Core 2 Duo T5470 1.6 GHz and 4GB RAM and you're using Windows XP. Now, are you sure Chrome is reponsible for the 45% CPU utilisation? When you look at the task manager and sort the tasks by CPU (in the processes tab, just click on the "CPU" heading), do the chrome threads actually add up to anything close to 45% or is there some other process that is taking up a significant amount of CPU power?

3. Cttimber

(Hovsep A
    Adobe Flash Player plug-in
    https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/108086?hl=en
    try to disable it and see if it will help you)

That actually made it worse by stopping it all together..

I don't want tp purchase Speccy and I had gotten my original process info from the task manager..

Something else to add, scrolling is also very choppy too ?? I use a Logitech Trackball instead of a mouse and slowed it down to 1 line wheel scrolls because it would jump way to far ahead at it's own pace...
    I should also add that the battery died a while back and I can not seem to find one but I am not sure enough to spend the money on it or get a new laptop?? All we use it for is email , facebook and movies !!

Richard

• Bruce E

The last time I checked, Speccy was free. If you want more gory details, you can use CPU-Z and GPU-Z. Both are free.

4. Cttimber

I don't know how to find the CPU or the Graphics card info

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional

Processor x86 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 13 GenuineIntel ~1661 Mhz

BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. A07, 2/3/2008

Total Physical Memory 4,096.00 MB

Available Physical Memory 1.78 GB

5. Cttimber

There are 3 extensions but I have disabled them all to no avail .. one is Last Pass, Motorola Connect ans Weather Bug but again I eliminated them and the problem persisted.. Also it never seems to matter how many tabs I have open but usually when I try to watch video's there is only one open. One thing that does make me wonder is that I can watch a Netflix movie just fine but not one on Xfinity or rather I can hear all the words but only get a jumpy picture and that happens on all other video's except Netflix?? My wireless says 54 Mbps and local area connection says 100 Mbps ..
    Richard..

As Hovsep has already said, it's perfectly normal for Chrome to have plenty "chrome.exe" threads running (on my PC it's 20 threads "at rest"). They do consume quite a bit of memory, that's just how Chrome works. As for using up 45% of your CPU, that depends on what CPU you have, how much memory you are using, and most importantly, what you do with Chrome. The number of extensions and open tabs is important, and some websites will make heavy use of the JavaScript capabilities of Chrome (GMail is a good example) so will use up a lot of memory and CPU power.

If you post the specs of your computer (CPU and RAM and graphics card model if you know it) and tell us what the effect is with Chrome "idling" (e.g. when looking at about:chrome) then we may be able to give an opinion on how reasonable or unreasonable it is and what you may be able to do about it.

Multi-process Architecture
    http://blog.chromium.org/2008/09/multi-process-architecture.html
    Google Chrome takes advantage of these properties and puts web apps and plug-ins in separate processes from the browser itself. This means that a rendering engine crash in one web app won't affect the browser or other web apps. It means the OS can run web apps in parallel to increase their responsiveness, and it means the browser itself won't lock up if a particular web app or plug-in stops responding. It also means we can run the rendering engine processes in a restrictive sandbox that helps limit the damage if an exploit does occur.

how many extensions you have on google chrome? how many tabs you open.

• Jeff F

Good answer Hovsep!

• Cttimber

I just turned off Chrome and the CPU usage dropped to 1% and stayed below 10% with an occasional spike to 28% and a few to 58% but always returned below 10% I never did that test before for some reason? So does that tell me that it is something in Chrome doing this.. Also I have Speecy now.. Just tell me what you need from there and I will copy and paste it here...
      Richard ..

well chrome is eating some resources, did you try to uninstall and reinstall chrome? also uninstall your security tool and see this will affect chrome behavior.

Process Explorer v16.03
      http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653
      or
      Task Manager
      http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc938567.aspx
      check which process is going high without chrome running

TDSSKiller rootkit removal utility
      http://support.kaspersky.com/en/viruses/disinfection/5350#block1

which type of cpu you have and graphic card and RAM, laptop info

How to configure Windows XP to start in a "clean boot" state
      http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353
      do you see any difference?

• Richard Orr

I did uninstall Chrome this morning but suddenly I didn't have a way to reinstall it without a browser, I didn't think about IE yet as I never never use it.. I have something called safe search that pops up after a restart so I used that after I did a restart and D/L Firefox as I just could not get Chrome to D/L for some reason? It took another restart to get Firefox to actually get Chrome to D/L for some reason.. Before I ran Chrome I tried running a movie in Firefox and they worked just fine, even Infinity movies!! No sluggishness at all!! So I started Chrome and it ran the same as before with the same movie took forever to start and ran slow as before and the CPU went nuts when Chrome ran yet was very low while Firefox ran? So it seems that something in Chrome is the actual problem ..

I also ran the TDSSKiller with nothing found as the result..

I guess I will try to switch everything to Firefox till I can figure this out??
      Richard..

is this one safe search?
      Remove SafeSearch.net hijack (Virus Removal Guide)
      http://malwaretips.com/blogs/safesearch-net-removal/