Why is Chrome using 100% of the CPU?
Question by Joeeyy /

Now I’ve been using Chrome pretty much since it launched and I refuse to change browser. But the past two days I’ve experienced my first problem ever with it.

When I’m using it, CPU goes up to 100% (Windows XP). I can also clearly hear it on my hard drive, the higher noise, but once I x out of it, CPU goes back to 2-6%.

Thanks for your help.

• David

Same issue, disabled all extensions, same results….. reinstalled chrome worked well for a day tops

• Reinard

Just to ad my voice to this: I’m having the exact same problem. Giving it time doesn’t fix it. It’s definitely the chrome root process. I’m running up-to-date AV software, this doesn’t seem like spyware. It doesn’t start immediately after starting it, but shortly thereafter. Quitting & restarting it always stops it.

I’ll try turning of the phishing filter next, but this seems like something that has started with a Chrome update.

• jit1

change the name of chrome.exe to  chrome2.exe  or whatever.exe .
    see if it’s fixed .

• Rana

Disable the “Enable phishing and malware protection” option, which is
    found under the Security section of the “Under the Hood” tab.

• Prateek Kumar Singh

Give “Process Lasso” a try. It is a very good application. It manages priorities of “badly” behaving processes and improves responsiveness and system performance. I am sure it will solve the problem.

:)

Hello, there are a few thing you try for fixing your problem.  The first thing is making sure that you have the most recent version of Flash.  Make sure to update it.  Also make sure you have the latest version of Chrome installed. 

Another thing that could be affecting your computer is having too many tabs open.  Do you by any chance save your tabs so that they all can be restored when you open your browser?

Are you using many extensions on your browser?  keep in mind that some extensions can cause a bottleneck when using your browser, specially is your internet connection is not the fastest one.  Also it could happen because you have your gpu enabled to run with Chrome and your gpu does not have enough physical memory. 

A basic but very important thing you can try is clearing the cache.  To do so go to the Wrench and select Clear Browsing Data.  Make sure to select browsing history, download history, and empty the cache.  If it is taking long to finish, reboot your computer and then start Chrome.  Make sure you do the cleaning before restoring tabs. 

When Chrome was released, there were some issues with Chrome using 100% of cpu.  It was later found that it was caused by the Phishing filter on Chrome and also by the DNS prefetcher.  It it better if you have the phishing filter and dns prefetcher running by if your issue is not solve by using the previous steps, you can try turning them off and see if it solves your problem. 

• Drug Addict

Did you try just letting it finish what it was trying to do?  Give it 10 mins or so, it might resolve itself.  Other than that, you need to gather more info.  Try process explorer from sysinternals.com.  It is similar to task manager, but digs much deeper, allowing you to see what file handles are open, which may clue you in to the problem