How can I choose between graphics and processor performance?

Ankur November 13, 2011

I want your advice. I want to buy a new laptop.

The laptop will be used to Render 3D architecture and design applications.

I have two options.

Option 1) Intel Core i5-2430M, Nvidia GT 540MX with 2GB of DDR3 Ram, 4GB standard Ram

Option 2) Intel Core i7-2670QM Quad 2.2GHz 6MB Cache, NVidia GT 520MX 1GB DDR3 Graphics, 4GB standard RAM

I do not have much knowledge about this. I am worried about performance and longivity of my notebook as the last one I had with 512MB dedidated graphics burnt out, I think due to overheating. Any tips?

1. Amature Animator

Thanks! This is a good piece of information regarding the impact of CPU processing power compared to GPU Graphics on rendering times

3D rendering speed the greatest impact is the CPU
    http://www.archeast.com/rendering/index.php/3drendering1/18-3d-rendering-speed-the-greatest-impact-is-the-cpu.html

The graphic card is responsible for the speed in viewport navigation. IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH RENDERING TIMES!

Hello, graphics wise I would choose option one....With regards to CPU I would go with option two.  The Intel Core i5-2430M is a dual core, meanwhile the Intel Core i7-2670QM is a quad core.  That means with the first one, the processor can use 4 threads...with the second one, you get 8 threads.  With regards to the speed of the processor they are evenly match but I would give the edge to the i7 because of the quad cores.  The i5 runs at 2.4 GHz and the i7 at 2.2 GHz.  Also, if you are running a 64 bit processor, I would increase the memory to 8 GBs. Remember that no matter how powerful your graphics card is, if you have a slow processor it does not make much of a difference.

With regards to tips, make sure that you use your laptop in a flat surface.  Try to avoid using it by placing it in your knees, on beds, sofas, etc.  Also make sure that there is enough ventilation for the cooling fan and that there is nothing blocking the exhaust fan.  You could use a cooling pad specially when you run heavy applications like you are planning to.  If you decide to get a cooling pad, make sure that it faces the right way to cool your laptop properly. 

With regards to performance, if maintained properly any one of the choices would do...About longevity, who knows....all I can tell you is that no matter if you maintain your laptop properly, there will always be lemons.  Also make sure to maintain your battery properly.  If your batteries are charged and you are not planning to use them, better take them out and run with the cable.

4. Jeff

I concur, option one would be best.

The requirements for 3ds Max are as follows (most won't exceed this):

Intel® Pentium® 4 1.4 GHz or equivalent AMD® processor with SSE2 technology* 2 GB RAM (4 GB recommended) 2 GB swap space (4 GB recommended)**

Ankurji, I think both the options are capable to meet your needs,
    option 1 will also work.

I have seen a desktop with i3, 1 gb nvidia, 4gb ram -already working well with many 3ds max and some heavy video editors.
    so both will work. you can go for any of them.