Should I choose between Graphics card or Processor?
Question by Zaidy /

I have come across two offers to choose from in a promotion, but I cannot decide which is more worth it for the same price. Can anyone advise me on what to choose?

One option has a better graphics card (GT540M), while the other option has a better processor (i7-740QM) than the former.

As I heard, CPU and GPUs both affect the FPS in games. So, just by looking at these specs can I know which will benefit more in the end? Please tell me which is a better choice and best for the same price, and why. Sorry I do not have any knowledge about notebooks and want to know more!

By the way, the battery life of the two notebooks were not stated. Can the better option be chosen based on an estimate of the battery life, too?

Thanks a lot. I have arrowed the differences. However, not all the specifications of these notebooks are found in the advertisements so can if I missed out any pros or cons of these notebooks please tell me! Thanks!

[Acer Aspire 4750G]

Hello, sounds good…..just make sure that you also get a cooling pad for your notebook specially, if you use it for heavy tasks….Is is 32 or 64 bits?

• Zaidy

Thanks to everyone who responded ! :) I found a new offer which ends today haha..

At 944.422934 USD,

Intel® CoreTM i7-2630QM processor
    (Quad Cores, 2.0GHz with Turbo Boost up to 2.90GHz,6MB L3 cache)
    14″ HD Acer CineCrystalTM LED-backlit TFT LCD

640GB Hard Disk Drive, 4GB DDR3 RAM

Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium
    Nvidia GeForce GT 540 with Nvidia Optimus Technology
    ( 1024MB of dedicated DDR3 VRAM )
    HDMI Output

what do you guys think?

Hello, only advise I can give you based on the information given is that if you are using your notebook for gaming, choose the better GPU….if you are using your notebook for general stuff like emailing, web browsing. etc. where graphics are not the most important consideration go for the CPU. If you are not a serious gamer, CPU all the way…even though we are talking about a notebook after all.

A quick question: What CPU is provided with the option of GT540M? Is it the i3? or the i5? Is it second generation?

Since I don’t know the alternate CPU/GPU configuration for your question I can only give some general advice.

Everything from a Core i5 25xx/75x (and above) should be fine for current games as long as the GPU is strong enough!

The Graphics card usually has the biggest impact in gaming performance. The GT540M is a mid-range model so if you want to play games with medium to high quality it is the minimum you should go for in Graphics power.

Only if the GPU is struggling a better CPU will significantly increase your performance, otherwise we are talking about 5-15%

The following link is not the best overview out there but it perfectly shows the impact of a better graphics over a better CPU in terms of gaming performance.
    http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/cpus-and-games-2010_4.html

A CPU upgrade can’t do more for the game than a GPU upgrade.Having a good GPU is handy for any of the graphics-intensive aspects of the game (drawing polygons, textures, any distortion effects… calculations…). The amount of on-board Video RAM (VRAM) the card has — a 256mb card won’t give you as much mileage as a 1gig card.

What really helps FPS is the i7 processors. With the removal of FSB, an average GPU will perform better than the same GPU based on an LGA775 CPU.

But if you seek applications performance then a better cpu will do better.

Like on the Core2, there are two ways of overclocking the Core i7: by increasing the base clock (133 MHz by default), or, only only on the Extreme, by increasing the multiplier in Turbo mode.The essence of the benefits of this processor lie in multithreaded applications.Even in relative prospective, overclocking these CPUs may cause about 4—50% increase in system power consumption.

If power consume is a problem then It would be better to go with the core i5 simply because it delivers the performance and upon that it is power efficient than the other core processors.
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Intel-Core-i3-i5-i7-Processors-Arrandale.25085.0.html

The choice will be yours if you want a game dedicated Notebooks then go for the better graphic card.

with an i7 720 and an HD 4650. They got about 3.5 hours while web surfing on the 9-cell battery.
    http://www.laptopmag.com/review/laptops/dell-studio-17-core-i7.aspx?mode=benchmarks
    get this one:12 hour battery life in a high-end laptop? Asus says yes
    http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/2010/01/asus-laptop-makes-intel-nvidia-gpus-work-together.ars