How do I choose the best router for my needs?

Dhaval P March 3, 2014

I have subscribed to Internet service recently and using TP link router with G model. Now my neighbors want to share in my Internet so I am planning to increase bandwidth (currently 2 Mbps to in future 4 Mbps). The total area should be served will be around 10000 m2 and the number of users will be around 8 to 10. Please help me to choose the right router which can serve this purpose. Thanks in advance.

1. Mike Merritt

He can always claim that they're sponging off of him without his knowledge - but it's still a lie - and he's still guilty of assisting in the theft of services.

You should also check your Terms of Service. In many instances, sharing your network connection with your neighbors is a violation of those terms and can lead to immediate termination of your service.

• dragonmouth

He can always claim they are all his family. :-)

The number of users is not an issue, any ordinary router should cope with it (although sharing 4mbps between 10 users will not be fun!). As for the WiFi range, that's too big for a single router. You should set up a number of wireless access points, ideally connected over ethernet (or PowerLine) to the router.

• Dhaval P

Actually maximum distance form the router will be around 30 m but it is not direct distance because there will be walls and ceilings in between.

• dragonmouth

It would still be a good idea to set up wireless access point to prevent spotty connections.

• Oron J

I guess you meant 1,000 m2, rather than 10,000... In this case, it really depends on the number of walls, materials etc. Since you already have a router, the best thing to do is to take a laptop or a mobile device, and do a site survey (I like to use "WiFi Analyser" on my Android phone for the purpose, but any signal meter, even the one built-into Windows will do).
      Leave the router where you want to site it, and move around the area noting down the signal strength. You will probably find the signal is OK throughout most of the area, with a few black spots. See if a changing the position of the router deals with that. If not, and if you feel that the obstacles are largely responsible for the poor signal, get a router with 802.11n WiFi which has multiple antennae. These multiple antennae consitute something called MIMO which reconstructs the signal from the waves bounced and reflected by objects, and it can do wonders in a "built up" area.
      If, having bought the router, you find that you still have black spots, use WiFi extenders as I suggested in my original reply.

• Bruce E

If you are going to do the heatmapping, I would recommend Ekahau Heatmapper for the task. It is free and is much more accurate than attempting to use the driver's little "bars" as an indicator of signal strength. It can also let you know if there are other channel conflicts in the area from someone else's wifi network. In many cases, weak areas can be eliminated with a simple channel change on the network so you are not suffering the effects of frequency overlap between adjacent networks.