Did I make the right choices when I ordered this laptop from Dell?

Suhel May 1, 2011

Hi all,

I’ve just ordered a Dell Xps 15 and I have a few questions that I would like to get answered before I get delivery.

1. I didn’t go for the 1080FHD display, but opted for the normal WLED screen? Did I make a mistake? Because I read a lot on the internet about the 1080 thing.
2. I also didn’t go for 2GB graphics card and purchased the 1GB card. Because I see in most of the games 1GB would be enough? Will I’ve any problems in playing games with 1GB video card?
3. Can anyone recommend me some good games and applications? I would be using Windows 7 for the first time after I get my laptop.

Thanks :)

1. Abhishek Verma

1.Display:its good not to have 1080i display...it drains a lot of power + very few good videos are in 1080i.
    2.1GB is sufficient...consumes less battery...but if u r a real gamer..then it will disappoint u....although you can decrease graphic values to ensure lag free gaming...
    3.some good apps:
    Portable google chrome
    A good dock(object dock is good one)
    open office
    Adobe reader X
    evernote
    uTorrent
    VLC
    Picasa
    WinRar
    Delayed Shutdown

Hello, with regards to point number 1. I think you made the right decision if you are not planning to play a lot of high definition content and also because it helps conserve your battery power.

With regards to point number 2, I think you made the wrong decision based on the fact that you keep bringing up games into the equation. Are you planning to play a lot of games? If you bought your laptop for gaming, you could have bought an Allienware laptop made specifically for gaming...even though they are really expensive...When you buy new electronics, specially laptops/desktops you do not only have to think about now, but also you have to think about the future. Requirements for gaming keep increasing all the time and what is good enough now, maybe not be good enough next week.

There are two things you have to consider...One is that laptops are know for overheating a lot specially with gaming and the other is that from what you said on your answer somebody else made the decisions for you. I think you would be happier, if you had picked what you wanted, instead of letting other people that are not going to use the laptop for you.

• Suhel

No, I'm not so much into gaming. Its just to kill time after I come back from work as I live alone. So its just like 1 or 2 hours of gaming maybe 4-5days a week. I've heard about the overheating thing and I'd get a laptop cooler (is that what they say?) once I get my laptop. I'd to rely on my friend cause he has more knowledge than me about the hardware thing of the laptops. thanks for the reply :)

• Chew

Hello, laptop coolers can help a little bit as long as you get the right one. Overheating is a big issue, specially for laptops. You have to consider that the over heating on the computer depends on the ambient temperature where you live and also by the increased activity in your laptop. For example, if where you live the climate is very hot and humid it will transfer to the room temperature when you start up your laptop, plus add to that the heat generated by the inside components of your laptop like cpu, harddrive, graphics card, etc. the temperature increases dramatically. If you live in a place with hot weather, the best thing to do would be to use your laptop inside a cold room or at least in a room with access to air conditioning.

Suhel,

you made the decisions for a reason. If you weren't sure this is what you really want, why did you order the laptop? Either let it go or cancel your order right away.

As for the screen, it's just a laptop. If you are not happy with the screen for gaming use at home, just get a really good external screen on which you can enjoy your laptop when you're at home. The rest of the time be glad that due to the low profile screen your battery lasts longer when you are not close to a power plug.

• Suhel

am happy with whatever am getting I was just making sure it would make any difference, and there were no specific reasons for choosing the laptop one of my friend did the customization and I simply accepted it. am not good in hardware and that's why am seeking advice.