Why does a Chinese message appear when I Facebook like my website posts?

nahidu November 14, 2011

I am making a WordPress website in Dhivehi [Dhivehi is the official language of Maldive]. I published an article in Dhivehi. I clicked the Facebook like button and on my Facebook profile a page appeared in Chinese characters instead of the text in the article. What’s going on? Here is a screenshot. hulhudhuffaaru.com/beta/ima.PNG

That's not Chinese, Nahidu, it's broken unicode. You're writing in country-specific encoding type, which is why Jay's browser doesn't see it either. Either convert your text to Unicode correctly, or accept that facebook will never be able to read your language (as will 99.9% of everyone else on the internet). 

It's admirable you're trying to protect an obscure language in the digital age, but writing in obscure script is not conducive to using the internet and will always cause problems I'm afraid ;) I've had the same problem when living in Japan, where there are no less than about 5 different Japanese encoding types - and every new site you visit you have to switch the browser encoding yet again. 

As for how to convert the text to Unicode, I'm afraid I can't be much help there. If you wrote in text editor, there should be the option when saving the file. If you used some kind of blogging system, you'll need to check the documentation for that system specifically. WordPress supports unicode as far as I'm aware, and I've never had trouble display chinese or Japanese characters there. 

yes, Firefox can read it, but chrome can't read that particular page.
      But when I pasted these dhihevi fonts in chrome on my facebook status, it could display it normally!
      what can be the reason?
      i think there can be something with his website also.

see the image..chrome displays exactly the same Chinese message as facebook does when i opend the url.
    , as it reads some part of the liked webpage.
    but firefox shows the webpage normal with the original content.
    so may be it has something is wrong with dhihevi fonts or your website.
    try to share an English article by like button
    and see if the same happens.
    if yes, then problem is dhihevi fonts.
    did the like sharing work normally before, or it's the first time you tried it?