How often should I check the trash folder in my email?

Nahar Aba Hakeem March 28, 2012

It just so happened that an email I expected in my inbox arrived in my trash folder. I almost gave up before finally finding it in there safe and sound. Now I wonder if any more email that I was supposed to receive ended up in my trash folder.

Should I just ignore the folder in future except when I am expect an email from someone, or should I check it regularly? How often should I check if necessary?

1. Indronil Mondal

no need to clean anything just let them be where they are when you think it looks dirty move them to another directory WHO KNOWS WHAT IS NEEDED WHEN..

Hello, I would say that that depends in the amount of email you get.  If you have and email account whether it is web based or not, that gets a lot of email, I would make sure to keep checking it often.  How often depends on how much email you get.  

3. babsb67

I always leave my trash and spam folders empty. If you keep them empty it will be easier to find missing emails

The only time something should end up in your trash folder is if you deleted the message.  Most email clients (including web-based) include a junk folder that suspected spam and phishing emails will automatically be moved into.  That folder should be checked on a regular basis as most clients will automatically delete them (permanently), generally after 7 days.  For example, I check the my hotmail (web-based) junk folder every couple of days just to make sure that something important didn't get dropped into it.  (It normally has between 20 and 60 emails per day.)  I also end up with a junk folder in Outlook (my email client for this account) that I check every time I check the rest of my email.  (Normally 4-10 messages per day that don't get stopped by the Hotmail filters.)

If mail is automatically going to your trash folder, you need to check any filtering rules that are implemented to do any kind of pre-sorting for you as it is this that may be moving them into your trash folder.

You can also get around this - especially for an expected email - by adding the sender to your address book or whitelist in your client software as they will automatically be delivered to your inbox, BUT other filters for their specific email address or domain may still put them somewhere else.  (It all depends on how your rules are configured and the order they are processed.)