Why does check disk run on every startup?

Nice October 14, 2012

Every time I turn on my laptop, the check disk continues to run until I cancel it. This is happening only from couple of days since I ended up deleting some file from my C drive by mistake. After logging in I get an alert that $mft is missing. I think the file that I did shift+del on is related to scan disk.

Has anyone faced this error or has a solution for this? Any help will be greatly appreciated!

1. sathyamurthy

Check disk runs while starting the windows only when windows suspects that there are some data which are corrupted and needs your attention to check and recover data

• Muz RC

Thanks i also having these issue and now it solved...

2. Igor Rizvi?

Just try a system recovery.Turn a few days back before deleting that file,and i think that will take care fo it.

3. kumar raja

I also faced the same problem from Few days So, I left it for Check and later it is working fine so, first try this and later U can restore Ur PC or Recover

4. Nice Guy

Hello, You guys are just awesome! Thanks for your responses.

The issue is fixed now. I accidently turned off the power chord that resulted in an abrubt shut down of windows (as the battery had drained out). When I turned it on this time the system asked me to either run the windows in normal mode or run windows startup fix (repair) instead of asking for the check disk option. I tried the latter and guess what the system fixed this error itself.

I think this is the option Drew Butler was referring to. But I consider all your inputs very valuable.

Thanks once again all of you!

• Harish Jonnalagadda

Next time you face an issue with your machine, you know where to come for assistance!

5. Bodi Hemanth

1)Start> Run> type cmd and launch with administrative rights
    2) fsutil dirty query c:. Press enter
    3) CHKNTFS /X c:. Press enter. The X tells Windows to NOT check that particular drive (c) on the next reboot. At this time, manually reboot your computer, it should not do a Chkdsk and take you directly to Windows.
    Once Windows has fully loaded, bring up another CMD prompt and now you want to do a Chkdsk manually by typing: Chkdsk /r c:. This should take you through 5 stages of the scan and will unset that dirty bit.
    We got some reports of an issue where using Avira in Windows 7 leads to regular chkdsk-runs upon reboot.
    http://techblog.avira.com/2009/11/26/chkdsk-in-windows-7/en/

6. Nice Guy

Hello,

You guys are awesome! Thanks for your responses.

The issue is fixed now. I accidently turn off my laptop power chord that lead to abrubt windows shut down (as the battery had drained out). When I turn on the lappy this time it asked me to either run the window in normal mode or run window startup fix (repair) instead of the check disk. I tried the latter and guess what, now the issue is completely gone.

I think this is the option Window butler was referring too! But I consider all your responses very valuable.

Thanks once again Friends!

7. Saurabh Banwaskar

You Can Restore Your System To A Earlier Restore Point
    It Can Recover Your Deleted File

8. Imesh Chandrasiri

let the disc check run until it finishes. if it comes again, repair windows by replacing the deleted files!

9. Zhong Jiang

Perform a system restore on days later than 10, perhaps you can recover the deleted component with a recovery wizard available online. Trying to use a scan integrity function on the command prompt: sfc /scannow

10. Drew Butler

Windows repair should fix your issue. (You should have a windows disk or recovery partition on your computer to run the repair. If not you can buy one from a local PC shop usually has them for under $10)

Good Luck

2) fsutil dirty query c:. Press enter