How can I check for copyright infringment before uploading a video to YouTube?

Erlis Dhima September 10, 2012

Hello!

As many of Youtube users have seen, their videos are being wipe out, and their channel being blocked due to copyright infringement!
So, I wanted to know, if there is a way to check your videos for copyright, before uploading them to youtube?

There are some videos, that after uploading they work perfectly… But after some time, they get blocked due to copyright infringement!

I know that has to do with the ID matching also… And, the companies which has the rights, find out that that video is being broadcasted by a user which doesn’t have the rights! But how do I know for example, that a studio wants that I upload their movie, and this means the same as I have the rights.
What will happen if that company changes their mind?!! My videos will get blocked?

Is maybe the better way to ask that ‘company’ before doing the upload?? Does it happen that, that company doesn’t answer me never??

I know some question might even be foolish or without reason, but maybe there is something new to learn.

1. Gabriel Barron

Youtube has their guidelines list at this URL:
    http://www.youtube.com/t/howto_copyright

If you own all aspects of the video, then you don't need to worry about copyright infringement. If you stick with your own creations you will not have to worry.

• Erlis Dhima

The problem is for the things you don't create yourself!
      But anyway, this is something that it's good at the same time!
      If only videos created by you will be allowed, that means that youtube will be more professional.

2. Paul Pruitt

I don't think it is a simple, "you will lose your account if you post copyrighted material". I have some videos now that include copyrighted material. YouTube detected this but did not pull down the videos or my account, all they did is tell me and not let me gain adsense advertising dollars on those videos.

Someone actually made a video for me using BBC or Getty clips I think, which you normally have to pay for. YouTube alerted me to the situation, but said it was not pulling the video down for the time being. I wrote to the video clip bureau and they said that I should pull down the video or pay the $1000's of dollars in licensing fees, so I volutnarily pull down the clip.

I think YouTube's policy on this matter has not entirely matured and the courts have not provided the last words yet. That may have to wait for a service which can immediately tell you if your clip has copyrighted material, which you can test yourself. YouTube kind of provides this, but there is a delay. Also I don't think the courts have told YouTube to pull down all videos that contain any copyrighted material that are not posted by the owners of the copyright otherwise they might have to pull down, I don't know, half their videos...

I'm no expert on this subject mind you.

• Erlis Dhima

I think you are right in every aspect! :)

3. Irshaad Abdool

copyright in its general means using someone's else property without proper clearance/permission.
    so, when editing a movie , you should see to it your video sources, images, sound files and any other object is not a copyrighted material or the property of smeone else.
    using google images for your images often leads to such 'troubles' ; background music too

• Erlis Dhima

Thanks for the advices! :)

• Irshaad Abdool

:)

4. Ravi Theja

In general a video will have a disclaimer in the starting itself showing its copyright or will have a watermark.
    Check this link too
    http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_5882377_check-something-copyright.html

Examples of copyrighted works
    In general, any original work of authorship may be protected by copyright. Copyrighted materials may be subject to claims of copyright infringement. The most common reason we take down videos for copyright infringement is that they are unauthorized copies of copyrighted content, and the owners of the copyrighted content have alerted us that their content is being used without their permission. Once we become aware of an unauthorized use, we will remove the video promptly. See http://www.copyright.gov for more information about U.S. copyright law.

Some examples of potentially infringing content are:

TV shows
    Including sitcoms, sports broadcasts, news broadcasts, comedy shows, cartoons, dramas, etc.
    Includes network and cable TV, pay-per-view and on-demand TV
    Music videos, such as the ones you might find on music video channels
    Videos of live concerts, even if you captured the video yourself
    Even if you took the video yourself, videotaping a concert of your favorite band does not necessarily give you the right to reproduce and distribute the video of the concert without permission from the music publisher (who represents the song writer).
    Movies and movie trailers
    Commercials
    Slide shows that include photos or images owned by somebody else

Also checkout the url http://www.youtube.com/t/howto_copyright

• Erlis Dhima

Thanks for your comment! :)

6. Erlis Dhima

Waiting for someone who knows, too! :D

7. bobmanuk

it depends on the content of the video, if you post a music video or clip from a film, you'll probably find that your video/account wont last very long.

Ive found that people seem to get away with posting music on yt by providing it with lyrics or if they cover a song (play it themselves with their own instruments)

to be honest a lot of stuff is copyrighted these days, generally speaking, if someone else has made money off of it, especially if it contains music, video or film, or shows clips from a video game, it will probably be removed.

• Erlis Dhima

I see! Thanks for the tips!