Which is the cheapest graphics card with these qualities?

Osama Javaid July 24, 2011

I want to buy a graphics card with :
512 MB memory
OpenGL 2.0 compatibility
DirectX 9.0c compatibility
Pixel Shader 3.0 compatibility
Vertex Shader 3.0 compatibility

And it would be good if it’s from nVidia. Can you suggest me the ‘cheapest’ graphics card with these qualities from nVidia ?

1. Ben

I need a card that has a minimum specs of 512mb RAM pixel shader 3.0 and vertex shader 3.0. I am relatively new to this so can you please reply in plain english?!

2. Osama

No! I want to run current games like crysis 2, Assassin's creed 3, GTA IV, modern warfare 2, and like these.....I have searched for minimum system requirements on /www.systemrequirementslab.com/CYRI/ and from there I interpret that a graphics card with these qualities is needed at the minimum to run these games, i.e,
    512 MB memory

OpenGL 2.0 compatibility

DirectX 9.0c compatibility

Pixel Shader 3.0 compatibility

Vertex Shader 3.0 compatibility
    now because I am going for a Intel DG41RQ motherboard, that's why I want a budget graphics card which meets these requirements. I want the model number for the cheapest one.

3. Osama

All I want in a graphics card that any card compatible with Intel DG41RQ motherboard and with the qualities listed above...

Technically the Integrated Graphics Processor of this board already has these specifications (GMA X4500 supports DirectX 10, OpenGL 2.1 and Pixel Shader 4.0).

The only exception would be the 512MB RAM which of course depends on your systems RAM since Integrated Graphics Processors use shared memory with the rest of the system.Again, as I mentioned in my first post the specifications you mentioned are standards of ~6 years ago. Today you can pick pretty much any card you want that fits into your budget.For example the GT 430 mentioned before supports up to DirectX 11, OpenGL 4.1 and Pixel Shader 5.0. It also comes with 1GB dedicated GDDR. It will cost you around $80 (on newegg) or 60EUR.Another possible option is the GTX 550 Ti series which performs a little bit better but will cost you roughly $140 or 120EUR. This card will not only master your needs but is also capable of playing the latest games on low-medium quality.Even if you set your budget to $100 maximum you are looking at approximately 400 possible choices. 

• Osama

thanks! so that means if I put 3 or 4 GB RAM into my system, I can
        go with the integrated graphics card for hardcore gaming ?

• PCR

No, unless by "hardcore gaming" you mean playing only games that were released at least 6 years ago...

To be honest the 8600GT models [as most older generations] are rather expensive.
      Any GT430 or GT440 will easily outperform it and costs less.Besides of that it would be good to know whether AGP or PCI-Express is needed

Right GT430 is a good solution,  it can let you play most DirectX10 games, but at lower resolutions (720p and below). With DirectX 11 games, so you need to lower the resolution and level of detail settings further. Better GT430OC from MSI or Gugabyte

The GT 430 is too weak to really make use of DX11
        http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/graphics/display/gigabyte-geforce-gt430_6.html

I think if only Direct x9.0C wanted then there are even less expensive graphic cards.

All graphics cards/chips starting from Radeon R520 (X1300), Geforce 6 and Intel GMA X3000/G965 meet those specifications.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pixel_shaderConsidering that those chips were released between 2004 and 2005 you can pick pretty much any dedicated GPU or IGP with 512MB GDDR or more which is on the market.