How can I charge my Galaxy Tab 10.1 from a USB connection?
Question by Mao Piseth /

I bought a Galaxy Tab 10.1 a month ago, but so far I have not found a solution to make it charge from USB on my PC, yet. It will only charge from its original adapter.

It’s very annoying. I already rooted it, but don’t know what to do next. I have also tried the command in the Terminal Emulator, but it returns the result saying cannot create.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

• Richard

it will only charge if you turn it off. i own a G2 7.0 and this will not charge from USB port on either a PC or a macbook unless you power it down.

• jaydeep banerjee

tabs will charge through USB only when switched off. When the tabs are on, they need power is excess of the USB’s capability to charge. When the tabs are on, they will need a wall socket/car socket to charge

• my is iash usmaniyya kano

i buy my samsung galaxy tab but it is not conect with my computer pz help me
    i want conect to my system becouse i have alot of something to do with it in my computer

• Tino from belgium

Inside Samsung charger is à pièce of hardware that tells to tab to charge,i have token the charger apart , connect THE 5v wires to a standard Usb wire and nog its charge in pc /laptop and even a 0,4A USB charger, even in THE car is no problem.

• sammy

Connecting the tab via USB should charge it very slowly. Even if it is in sleep mode.
    The battery indicator will have a red cross, but it is actually still charging. Try plugging in your tab via USB, put it in sleep mode, and then come back after an hour. The battery percentage should have increased.

It works on mine.

Also there are people confirming this at:
    http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-tab-10-1/503899-charging-samsung-galaxy-tablet-p7500-via-usb-cable-connected-pc.html

• Jongoulet30

I noticed the same thing happening on my Galaxy Tab 10.1, however I did figure out that it charges through usb connected to computer when tab is powered off.

Thanks for the tip!

• Mulkayhey2001

Yay I’m over in the States ATM and dont have an adapter so USB was my only way, didn’t know I had to fully shut it down to charge it on USB… Thanks heaps

• Rana Osama

yes it charges when the tab is off

thank u very much

• Winie

I highly apreciate your tip i was stuck and annoyed too!

I don’t own a Galaxy Tab myself but most reviews state the the Tab won’t charge from laptop USB ports. For technical reasons this can also happen on any desktop PC.

The USB Port specifications requires only 500mA at 5V with anything higher being optional. However, most gadgets today require way over that ~ 700mA and above to be charged.

Considering that the wall charger for the Galaxy Tab is rated it 2A (2000mA) and requires about 6 hours to charge I would say that your USB port needs to supply at least 800-900mA to charge the device.

One thing you can try is to connect the Galaxy Tab to your USB port and then turn it off and see if it charges. Draining almost no power in that state your USB port may be sufficient to charge the battery.

• Mao Piseth

I really like your scientific explanation though it doesn’t help me to enable the charging. I know they can root it and make it chargeable, but I can’t just do it at the last step of video demo. Anyway, your explanation gives me a concrete support. Of course turning it off seems to charge as I can see the charging sign. Still, I am not sure how much slower it charges. Thanks very much. 

You can’t enable charging if it is technically not possible. As I said I don’t own a Galaxy Tab so I don’t know it’s exact specifications.

If the Galaxy Tab drains e.g. 800mA while being turned on and your USB port supplies only 700mA there is nothing you can do to make it charge except turning the Tab off.

Samsung states that charging via USB takes about 10 hours.

You can also calculate it: 
      The Galaxy Tab battery is stated to be 7000mAh. 
      If your USB supplies ~700mA it will take about 10 hours, at 500mA it will take about 14 hours.

* assuming the Tab is turned off and has (almost) zero power drain

You can also calculate it: 

You can also calculate it: 

• Anupam Bhattacharya

Awesome!! It worked!!! (Big Hug!!)

• Piseth

I followed all this tutorial, but just got stuck when typing the last command: echo….. cannot create file….