Can I charge my computer over night?
Question by Suhel /

I’ve read on the internet not to keep charging over night and doing things. But for the time being, I have no PC and I use my laptop for overnight downloading (as my broadband plans have night time free downloading).

So can I keep my laptop on charging and keep it for downloading? Or is there any software that would disable charging 100% and than start again charging after a specific level?

Browse other questions & answers in the category , ; tagged , ; or ask your own question.

Hi
    When charging your battery, stop the charging process when the battery reaches 100%

LiIon batteries age with time, even when not used. The aging process runs faster if the battery has more charge. Thus all other things being equal, a LiIon will live longer if it is kept at a charge level below 100%http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

More re-charges does not necessarily mean more battery life. Just means more re-charges.

Sony Vaio laptop has a built-in program called “Sony Battery Care” which provides a functionality to hold battery at certain levels of charge while operating. Try “powercfg /?” and notice the export and import options. Try exporting  “VAIO Maximum Battery” power scheme GUID, then import it onto another Windows computer, thereby duplicating all its settings.

Lenovo’s Power Manager gives you the option to set when it starts and stops charging

• Jeffery Fabish

Yes, charging your laptop overnight while it is on is okay. However, charging a battery that is actively being used can double the charge time required to fill the battery. You’ll also want to be sure that you have a good surface to keep your laptop and charger on, as they can become very warm. Be sure that both the charger and the laptop are receiving proper airflow and aren’t being set next to flammable material.

My search for automated laptop charging applications returned no desirable results.