How much should I charge for advertising on my blog?

Siyanda Mava May 13, 2012

There’s a potential website that would like to advertise their cellphone deals on my blog. They have sent me an email asking me to feature their deals on my blog. Then I told them I have no problem but we’ll have to speak about advertising costs. They replied asking for my advertising “rates”.

Now I would like to know how do I charge them? what does all this depends on? What is it I should look at before making a decision?
Must I negotiate with them first if they would like a CPM, CPC or just a direct advertising for a fixed amount per month?

Also, will someone recommend which programs I can use to track the statistics of their links.

P.S I already sent them my Google Analytics stats and they’re happy.

We would need to know your traffic to help with a question like that, as well as what kind of format featured deals will take. Do they mean a one-off article, a regular series, a simple text link, a banner ad?

• Siyanda Mava

Hi, James.

Thank you for the response. My blog is only 5months old now and it generated 8,720 visits (7,718 unique visitors) and 15,483 page views last month. And those numbers increase every month.

I would like you to visit the link I will provide below for an idea of what kind of deals I am talking about and you'll also get the feel of how will their ads be displayed on my site.

Link: http://sacellularnet.co.za/2012/02/samsung-galaxy-note-n7000-deals-compared/

I will put their deal information along side other deals and then put a simple text link that sends people to their site to sign up for a deal they're interested in.

Thanx for your help.

• muotechguy

That's a good amount of traffic for a new blog certainly, but not enough for the advertisers to pay anything upfront (as in per month). I believe they would offer you an affiliate scheme, with a special link that earns you % of sales, but honestly with less than 1000/day uniques, it's not going to earn anything and will just add low quality content to your blog. Concentrate on building traffic first, then monetize with something with more secure earning potential. My upcoming guide on site monetization will help - i'll be submitting it for editing this week, so should be released in a few months : just enough time to build your traffic some more! Affiliate schemes are just not worth the trouble.

Alternatively, if they are willing to pay upfront on a monthly basis (and *not* CPC or CPM), I would say $50-$100 is an appropriate amount for that level of traffic.

• Siyanda Mava

Thank you very much man, also looking forward on your up coming guide. I believe it will be a blast, as long as it's part of MUO.

Thanks for the estimation fee for a possible per month basis. I want nothing to do % of sales. As you said, my traffic is still very low especially thinking that I should aim for 1000 uniques per day *Gosh*.

Anyway, just in case we come to an agreement maybe for CPC or CPM. Are there any programs you'd recommend I can use to track those?

• muotechguy

Apologies, didn't mean to be disheartening there. 1000 / day will make reasonable money, in my experience.

In they pay CPM or CPC, they will have a dashboard where you can check the stats yourself. It's always good to have your own analytics account to track trafffic in general though, which I expect you already have.