How can I change the wallpaper in Windows 7 Starter edition?

Steve Campbell May 13, 2010

A buddy of mine recently purchased a netbook with Windows 7 Starter Edition. One of the first things he wanted to do upon turning it on was to change the background.

He right clicked the Desktop and there was no ‘Properties’ option or ‘Personalize’. We went into the control panel, ran searches, but there was nothing. We even downloaded wallpapers and right clicked them but there was no ‘Set as background’ option.

Upon investigating this online I found that Microsoft disabled this feature in that version of Windows. I was shocked. So my question is, how do I get around this? Is there some kind of hack or patch available? Or am I going to need to install some unnecessary program to fix Microsoft’s blunders?

1. Helnes

Changing backgrounds in Windows 7 Starter can also be done using the free software
    Starter background changer (Get it here: http://renaudgerson.fr/StarterBackgroundChanger/ ) (press the English flag in the upper right so that you see télécharger actually means to download), and during installation, just press Suivant (next) all the way until démarrer (start - thank you, Google Translate ).

Once you've completed your installation, you can right click on desktop background and select "Personalize." --> the program opens and allows you to change your desktop background.

"Validate the modification" to complete the action. Starter background changer also lets you also change the screen saver, sounds and colors.

thanks for the link!

• Helnes

No problem :)

Control Panel >>> Appearance and Personalisation>>> Personalisation>>> Change Desktop Background

There's a trick that you might want to try. In the old days, I always use IrfanView or Picasa to change the wallpaper. They will enable right-click menu of "Use As Desktop Background" (or something similar). So all you have to do is right click on the image that you want to use.

I don't know whether this trick will work on Win 7 Starter (I'm not using one), but it's worth trying.

• Steve Campbell

Thanks, I'll check it out!

4. Taty

The only way I know requires installing other programs :(

5. Adnan Khan

Go to the following link and see the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ez7XYrl4wdg

• Steve Campbell

Thanks I'll watch this right now!