How do I change startup and shutdown screens in Windows 7?

Dr.sunil V August 15, 2014

How to change Windows 7 interface theme? Like when I boot windows , a brownish screen with checks design comes on with say, Compaq mentioned. This brown screen can be seen even when shutting down laptop Presario CQ42. How to change this screen to a custom one?

Are the screens that you mention different than the logon and logoff screens? If so, you may have to modify the BIOS files and reflash the BIOS in order to change them. I would highly recommend NOT doing this kind of modification because a bad BIOS flash could render the computer to become completely useless, much like hard bricking a phone or tablet.

If you could provide a link to a video or pictures to view what you are talking about, along with the logon and logoff screens if they are different from the screens you are talking about, we may be able to tell if it is within the BIOS or in the system files. From there, we can provide better advice and suggestions.

• Sunil

Thanks. It is not the BIOS info mentioning screen , but the same screens which display "Logging in" and "Shutting down" . Can it be customized for it's design or a custom photo?

• Dalsan M

If they are just login screens, you can use Sunrise 7, Ultimate Windows Tweaker, or any other login UI modification tool. These applications will tell you the specifications required for using custom pictures, if necessary, and there are plenty of Windows theme download sites that include wallpapes that can be used for login screens (there are many pictures at DeviantArt, as well).

2. Ben S

You can use the Ultimate Windows Tweaker to change the wallpaper of your logon/logoff screen. I've used it to change away from the default and it works fine. You just have to be sure you use the correct sized image for your display, and it has to be under a certain size (as in MB).

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/ultimate-windows-tweaker-v2-a-tweak-ui-for-windows-7-vista

• Dr.sunil V

Thank you. Two types of screens come on , during booting / shutting down laptop : viz a) Screen mentioning Compaq with CQ symbol and b) Brown check squares design pattern theme like screen. Please tell , you imply which of the two?

• Ben S

Since I can't see your screens, I can't say for sure. What I can tell you is that it is the screen you see when logging on and off, like when typing your password or switching your users. Not the screen you see when you first boot up your computer before the BIOS. This is an example of what it will change (the background in this screen is the default)

http://technovally.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Snap11-1024x561.png

• Dr.sunil V

Thank you. Please tell , not only the Compaq Splash Screen ( mentioning Compaq ) but the 'theme' ( like brown check square pattern ) screen which follows / precedes the Compaq Splash Screen on booting and shutting laptop