How can I change speakers in a laptop?

James February 1, 2010

I recently bought an Acer laptop. Pretty bare bones but for email, internet surfing, and occasional DVD watching it meets our needs. However the built in speakers are very tinny in sound.

I’m not very computer savy so I don’t know if I would tackle this, especially on a brand new laptop. But the question is, can the internal speakers be replaced?

I’ve looked through the manual (not much help) and can’t find anything definite. I know I can use external speakers but that kind of defeats the portability aspect of the laptop.

Any constructive help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

1. bem

If you feel confident in your manual dexterity skills and are willing to take the risks inherent in any DYI project then take a look at this site: http://repair4laptop.org/notebook_howto_faq.html

Excellent info and links to detailed info on almost any laptop repair.

bem

Hmmmm.... I am sure the speakers can be replaced but in my honest opinion it will cost a lot of money (likely to be more than external speakers) and also will require you to open your laptop (which will cancel the warranty). Plus on top of that, you really need to be well familiar with the inner part of the laptop because removing the speakers will require you to dismantle the laptop.

I would really recommend you not do that if you haven't dismantled the laptops before.

The only two things that are easy to change on laptops are hard disks and RAM modules.