Why can I not change the screen resolution after reinstalling Windows XP?

Azi May 25, 2010

I just recently reinstalled Windows XP on my computer. Every time I change the resolution to 1280 x 1024, the monitor would black for a while, but after that the resolution still hasn’t changed Please help me!

1. Dariusm08

Same problem happens to my computer, when i reinstalled windows....my screen resolution is not working properly....is it possivle I can get the graphics driver from the windows automatic updates?

Darius,

I recommend that you ask a new question. This question above is very old.

You will need to install the drivers for your graphics card. Just pop in the CD and install them, or do what Steve mentioned.

If you are using Windows Vista, Windows Update should find them automatically for you.

3. Steve Campbell

Right click on My Computer and hit Properties. Then under the Hardware tab go to Device Manager. If you see any yellow question marks those are drivers that are missing in your system. If you navigate to your computer's manufacturer's website (e.g. Dell) you can go to support and get the drivers you need for your computer's model number.

This happens to me several times. A quick driver installation will fix the problem. Usually every purchased computer comes with the Driver CD. If not, a quick search on the net will aso do.

Azi,

did you install the graphics card drivers after reinstalling your operating system?

It sounds like the graphics card or the drivers you have installed don't support the resolution you want. That's why you cannot select it.

If it worked previously, then clearly the graphics card can display that resolution and you're having a problem with the drivers.