How can I change router settings when I can no longer access the modem files?

ROBERT MC CUTCHEON May 28, 2010

I have a Netcom 504 wireless router connected to a Netcom ADSL modem. I used the 192.168.1.1 to enterĀ  all the passwords and made alterations to use a passphrase, then saved.

I can not enter the net and now cannot restore the settings with the reset button and cannot get to the modem files to do a restore.

Any help would be appreciated!

Try connecting your computer to the router via an Ethernet cable. That way you bypass the passphrase of your wireless settings.

Otherwise, find your manual, and work out how to do a factory reset. Usually it's to hold the reset button for 3 or even 10 seconds, and not just pressing it.

2. Steve Campbell

Are you saying you can no longer access the router settings when typing in 192.168.1.1? Even after resetting the router, is it bringing up a password prompt?

Try accessing the router settings from another browser or computer first to see if it's working properly. If it is, then chances are there is something wrong with your system or the cord you use to connect to the router or wireless setup if you connect wirelessly.

The best way to narrow down your problem is to test multiple PCs though.