How can I change the refresh rate of my laptop’s monitor?

Viren Sakariya May 2, 2012

I have only one refresh rate appearing 60 Hz) so I can’t change it. I have a laptop with Intel HD Graphics, a PNP Generic Monitor and 4GB of RAM. I run Windows 7.

1. Virginia Horowitz

The frequency of the refresh rate of emails, using Gmail, on my MacBook Air suddenly changed and now it is happening much too often....even while I am checking my emails. I am not very tech savvy....so please respond accordingly with your suggestions to fix this problem. It is VERY annoying. It seemed to change right after I had to close Chrome to allow an update. When I reopened Chrome from my app file, this started happening (to the best of my recollection.) Thanks!

Hello, I would recommend to you not to try and change refresh rates in your laptop. by default, your system recognizes the optimized refresh rates for your system based in monitor and graphics card.

Refresh Rate
    TFT screens do not refresh in the same way as a CRT screen does, where the image is redrawn at a certain rate. A TFT monitor will only support refresh rates coming from your graphics card between 60Hz and 75Hz (ignoring modern 120Hz monitors for a moment). Anything outside this will result in a "signal out of range" message or similar. The “recommended” refresh rate for a TFT is 60hz, a value which would be difficult to use on a CRT. The “maximum” refresh rate of a TFT is 75hz, but sometimes if you are using a DVI connection the refresh is capped at 60hz anyway.
    http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/specs.htm

you can try update video driver and see if you can have other refresh rates?

Since it is a PnP monitor, the refresh rates that it supports are communicated to the system on startup. Since it is only showing a refresh rate of 60Hz, that is all it supports and even attempting to chang it to something else will most likely result in permanent damage. If you change video resolutions, you may find it may support other refresh rates for those resolutions.