How can I change the position of pictures in MS Word?

Kolin Vekal March 19, 2010

How can I fix the position of pictures in a Word document? I have read the available help but it doesn’t (help).

1. Steve Campbell

One thing you have to look into is the size of the picture you're using. If the picture is too big for the margins you have set, it will appear to trail off the page. You can resize pictures by clicking the corner of them and dragging inward.

Also, you can highlight a picture and select which alignment you want it to have (left, center, right), similar to what you would do with text.

You may want to have a read of my PDF Manual. http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/create-professional-reports-documents-pdf for some MS word tips and tricks

However, if you have MS Word 2007, click on your Picture. Under Picture Tools --> Format, select Text Wrapping --> Through.

You should be able to move your image wherever you want through your document and it will stay in the one place (unless you convert it to 2003 format, but then it might change. So just play around with the settings in the arrange group, and you should solve your problem.

3. Mark O'Neill

right click on the image in your Word document and choose "format picture". Then choose the "layout" tab and choose how you want the image to interact with the text.

Once you save your changes, you will find that you can now drag the image around the document with your mouse and the text will move around accordingly.