How can I change the playback speed of videos with VLC media player?

Mango the Fruitarian July 3, 2010

Is it possible to slow down (or speed up) a video played in VLC media player? If so, how? If not, what free media players (if any) are able to reduce or speed up video play rate? I’m using Windows 7.

1. abhishek sagar

ya , its possible in VLC , but VLC only plays the movie with different playback speeds , is it possible to save another copy of movie which is inherently plays fast (or slow) ?

2. Xbmc user

Any idea if there is any way to do the same kind of speed up vlc does in a media center program?  specifically XBMC

3. curious

Does anyone know how to increase the speed by increments of .1 on a mac? 

Curious,

I'm afraid I don't know the answer and I'm not sure whether you will receive a reply here. If not, I recommend you to ask a new question.

4. Yalla Apps

Click on the 1.00x textbox on the bottom to get the control for speed (it is next to the current time tracker textblock)

• Brian

The process you describe does in fact change the playback speed but does NOT change the audio playback pitch...I have some videos that were apparently recorded at the wrong speed and play too fast and all voices are higher pitched than they should be...I can slow it down to about normal playback speed but the voices are still high pitched...I wish there was a way to ramp the pitch down to normal with the speed

5. Mango Wodzak

Great, thanks.. exactly what i needed.. your answers are much appreciated.

Just like in the images, just right click on the speed, and select what you want. So it is possible in VLC

In addition to what Tina said, you can also click on the arrows on either side of the playback control slider. The one on the right side increases speed while the one on the left decreases the speed.

Checkout the screenshot http://www.makeuseof.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/VLC011.png

Mango,

yes, that is possible. Did you check the options in the playback menu? It allows you to increase and decrease the speed. In addition, there is a speed label in the bottom menu of VLC. Right-click it to adjust the speed.

Here is a screenshot: http://www.makeuseof.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/VLC01.png

Please let us know whether that answers your question. Thank you!