How can I change the first three numbers of my Windows PC’s IP address to 169?

Zoltán Kelemen-Virág February 1, 2012

I want the IP address of my Windows computer to start with 169. Automatic configuration won’t allow this. How can I do it?

• Zoltán Kelemen-Virág

Actually, James is right, I want to avoid the PC to give this IP address to itself. I am seeking the setting that succeeds "IPAutoConfigurationEnabled" DWORD registry setting in Windows 7.

Hello, as you know apipa address happen under specific circumstances.   In your original question you asked how to set an address starting with but never mind that.  In windows 7, you could try adding the entry "IPAutoConfigurationEnabled" with a  Dword entry=0 in the following path:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSet
        ServicesTcpipParameters

as compared with older versions of windows where the  entry was in the following path:

ServicesTcpipParametersInterfacesadapter

Here is more info:
        http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;244268

Keep in mind that playing with registry can be dangerous.  Make sure to backup registry, create a backup of your system and also a system restore.   

You can't. 169.x.x.x means the addressing is broken and it's automatically given. You wouldn't assign it yourself. I presume you're askin because one of your pcs has been given it, and you're trying to workaround that by giving a similar address to other machines. Doesn't work like that. If you're doing it manually, which you might if you don't have an actual router on the network, then give them addresses in 192.168.0.x address space. That's a special address reserved for private networks, as in your case.