Is it possible to change the language in Windows 7?
Question by eltioska /

My situation: I’ve just bought a laptop which came with Windows 7. Since I live in Spain, the computer came with Windows Spanish.

Now, the language itself is not a problem, but I’m big on using keyboard shortcuts and they are different and it’s kinda annoying.

(A few examples: Ctrl-E instead of Ctrl-A to highlight all; Ctrl-G instead of Ctrl-S to save, etc…)

So my question: Is it possible to set the language of the Win7 OS to English without re-installing?

• Rk Stevean

Exactly ! Check out “”

• Switspk

“vistalizator” is THE answer

• el tio ska

I’m using Win 7 Home 64-bit. So there are some limits on the adjustments I can make regarding languages. (For example, I cannot install a new MUI language pack but an LUI one – which is the “limited” version.)

Dunno exactly how this affects my particular case, as what I’d like to do is more of stripping off the additional language layer there is on top of the original English version… which is why there would be no language pack for English!

Ok, found some additional info… I don’t know what version of Win7 your using though.

Some version of Windows 7, such as Windows 7 Ultimate and Windows 7 Enterprise, allows users to change the support language to display text in wizards, menus, help and supports and dialog boxes. Here is the manual procedure to change language in Windows 7.

1. Click the Start button.
    2. Click Control Panel.
    3. Under the Category view, click the Clock, Language, and Region link and right after that click Change Display Language link located under the “Region and Language” section.
    4. Under Icon view, click Region and Language icon, and click the Keyboards and Languages tab.
    5. Under the “Display Language” section, choose and change language from the drop-down menu.
    6. Click Apply.
    7. Restart your computer for the change to take effect.

If you want to change the language of the welcome screen, network services, local system. If you also wish to change the language of new user accounts, follow this other procedure:

1. Click the Administrative tab in the “Region and Language” window.
    2. Under the “Welcome screen and new user accounts” section, click the Copy settings button.
    3. Now, in the “Welcome screen and new user accounts” dialog box, tick the Welcome screen and system accounts and New user accounts checkbox.

• nicholassimon

If you are installing Windows 7 or new to Windows 7 check out The ABCs of Windows 7 which will help –

• el tio ska

Now this is a funny one:

There is no language pack for English! LOL

It’s kinda obvious in a way, coz English is the language the Windows interface would be originally written in I guess… Which makes the Spanish language pack a sort of “secondary” addition on top of English, right? So that would mean that there is no sense in making a language pack for English…

However there “must” be a way to revert to English… I’m on an info-hunt here :o)

I checked and the MUI language pack for Spanish cannot be uninstalled – would be nice if it were that simple!

• el tio ska

wow guys, thanks for the immediate response!

@ Smokey99: thanks for the detailed explanation :o)

@ Steve Campbell: thanks for the tip – it wasn’t what I was looking for though :o) The link you gave describes how to change the input language – I’m not sure what that affects. What I needed was the display language, maybe I wasn’t clear enough in my question, sorry.

I came across these articles on the microsoft website which explain the stuff, pretty much like Smokey99 explains here:

The latter explains the difference between 2 types of language packs that can be downloaded.

pace and harmony!

Some editions of Windows 7, i.e. Windows 7 Ultimate and Windows 7 Enterprise can officially more than one display language, which determines what localized languages are been used to display text in wizards, dialog boxes, menus, Help and Support topics, and other objects in the user interface (UI). Display languages can be added and installed in Windows 7 with MIU (Multilingual User Interface) or LIP (Language Interface Pack) language packs.

Other than directly change display language after installing new display language, when there is more than one display languages installed on Windows 7 system, users can change and switch display language manually or on ad-hoc basis using steps below.
    How to Change the Display Language in Windows 7
    1. Click on Start button, then go to Control Panel.
    3. In Category view, click on Clock, Language, and Region link, and then click on Change display language link under “Region and Language” section.
    In Icons view, click on Region and Language icon, and then go to Keyboards and Languages tab.
    4. Under “Display language” section, choose a display language from the list of installed language packs.
    Note: If no list of display languages is shown, make sure that you have installed additional language packs as the list will only applicable if there is more than 1 display languages available in supported editions of Windows 7.
    5. Click Apply.
    The system’s user interface is now been converted and switched to new display language selected. Logout and login again or restart computer to see the change. Note that the new display language is applied for existing user account only, but not to text on welcome screen and system reserved accounts, nor set as the default display language for new user accounts create in future.
    To change the display language in Windows 7 welcome screen and special reserved system accounts used by Windows services (local system, local service, and network service), and set the current display language as the setting for new user created, continue with steps below. It will also set current display set as the display language for users who haven’t specified a display language.
    1. In the “Region and Language” dialog window, click on Administrative tab.
    2. Under “Welcome screen and new user accounts” section, click on Copy settings button.

3. In the “Welcome screen and new user accounts” dialog box, select and tick the check boxes for Welcome screen and system accounts and New user accounts.

4. Click OK to apply the change

• Art

I’m from Texas but I’m in Korea now teaching English in a public elementary school. Crazy as it seems, especially in a country that’s supposed to be very ‘wired’ and ‘hi-tech’, they give us office PCs wired with Korean language versions of XP. It’s really frustrating…..the Korean.

Is there any way to change over to English. I wouldn’t even mind spending some money on it.

if the answers to this question didn’t provide a solution for your problem, I would recommend to post a new question. You are much more likely to receive an answer for your specific problem.

• Steve Campbell

I found this Microsoft article that might be of use to you:

If that doesn’t help I’m sure there’s a way to change the default system language in the control panel somewhere. I’m not sure if it will change your shortcuts automatically or not, but if it doesn’t I’m sure you can find an easy way to do that as well.