Is it possible to change the IMEI of a mobile phone?
Question by Santosh Kolhar /

Hi,

I want to know is it possible to alter IMEI number of mobile?

I have lost my Samsung Galaxy Note and is not traceable at all by police through IMEI.

Any tips? Can this be changed?

Browse other questions & answers in the category ; tagged ; or ask your own question.

• rohit pandey

yes it is possible but it is not permitted by government as leagal stuff

• Naveen Kumar

i don’t think you can change it.each and every IMEI number are unique and that can be only done by your phone manfacture…………………

• Raghav Gupta

NO not at all. Its ILLEGAL

• Jan Fritsch

Yes it is illegal but very much possible. There are software downloads that allow you to change the IMEI programmed into the firmware of newer phones.

On older phones you could even change it using some standard codes. For example on older Samsung phones you could perform a full EEPROM reset by entering: *2767*3855#

Entering this code will not only fully reset the device but change the IMEI to ” 447967-89-400044-0″

• Patrick Jackson

Sorry, but from now on, do keep a mobile tracker application in your new phone, which is usually a part of many anti-virus so that you can still track it and can securely erase your valuable data.

• Patrick Jackson

Unfortunately, yes. It is possible to do so. Also, trackimei might not do much help in your case as the above reason.

• Lisa Santika Onggrid

IMEI is issued in production and it’s not possible to change the number.

• Erlis Dhima

Like the others said it can be changed! But, if it would be a way to find your phone, there could be a possibility to take it back! I don’t know if your phone has it’s IMEI printed on the inside (the part where you remove your battery), but you can get it back if it has it. Also, some models has it printed with a QR Code! (My phone has a QR Code… )

• Jan Fritsch

As Douglas said, it is possible that someone has changed the IMEI number.

While it is intended to be a unique identification number for each phone (in the world) this number is only programmed into the phone and can be changed with the right tools.

• Pwince Khan

not possible

• Dimal Chandrasiri

I don’t think you can change the IMEI since it’s the hardware identification number of any mobile device.