If I change my Gmail password will my email account still be available on my iPad?

Jacque Stauffer August 24, 2012

My boyfriend and I broke up and in anger he took the iPad. I figured it was just stuff, however the email account was logged into my Gmail account. I know he was reading it. I changed the password. Will he still be able to read my emails?

1. Sashi Peiris

You should go to icloud.com then sign in to your apple id. The go to find my iPhone. Then it should locate your iPad. Then click remote wipe on your iPad's menu. Theis will completely erase the iPAd

2. steven ...

In plain english, yes the email will still be available but the next time he tries to sync, a dialog which prompt the new password will pop up

3. Amit Sinha

No every time any email client downloading the emails from server then it must authorizes your account if you have change your password then you have to do the same in ipad.

But be sure he can use forgot pass option to change your account password if he knows your security question and answer, the best way is to change all the password resetting option.

It is good to use alternate email id for password resetting.

4. Sri Swaminathan Vanarasi

the email login will be available in ipad as well but u need to update the password on your ipad to get in ..

5. sanjay_addya

Yes it will be available but you have to re-enter the password in your iPad Gmail App again.

6. Ben Mordecai

He would have to reenable it and find out your new password.

If he is reading your emails and you have told him not to, you should file a restraining order and report your iPad as stolen property.

7. muotechguy

Are you saying he *stole* your iPad? If so, don't you think calling the police would be a good idea?

8. SRChiP

In Gmail, you have click the right bottom corner label called 'Details' and log out all of other sessions so that the new password takes effect in devices that used the old password.

• muotechguy

No, you don't. The moment you change it all other devices will fail to connect. I know, I just tried it.

• trickycoyote

I don't think this is true. I changed my gmail PW from my laptop, but never entered the new PW on my Droid X, and never lost account access through the phone's GMAIL app. So you have to do something besides just change your PW, at least in some cases.

He could read your email if he has the new password. If he doesn't, he won't be able to get into it.

10. Tim Brookes

If you changed your password then it will require re-authorization, and thus he won't be able to read it. I would also suggest enabling two-factor verification on your account, you can find out how to do it by reading the following article:

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/google-recommends-2step-process-protect-account-news/
    And: http://support.google.com/accounts/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=180744

On another slant, did you enable Find my iPad? Assuming it's a recent model then you should be able to login to iCloud (http://www.icloud.com) and not only locate him but also remotely lock and wipe the device.

Oh yeah, and if he knows your Apple ID password (what you type in to install apps) you'd better change that too.

Hope this helps, let us know how it goes!